You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the Texture Line Style used for in Publisher?

It is my understanding that the Texture Line Style is controlled by the Brushes studio in Designer but, since there is no Brushes studio in Publisher, what does it do? I can’t seem to find any way of altering what it does and it acts the same as the Solid Line Style. The ‘preview’ in the Context Toolbar changes but the line stays the same. Am I misunderstanding what is supposed to happen?

• 4 weeks later...

If someone has both Designer and Publisher then they can switch to the Designer persona to change the brush but, if someone only has Publisher, I can’t see a way for them to change much about the brush except its width. The Size Variance, Opacity Variance and Pressure don’t seem to do anything for the ‘standard’ brush so the Properties panel doesn’t seem to do anything that can’t be done by using a Solid Line Style. I just can’t figure out what it’s there for when someone only has Publisher.

16 hours ago, GarryP said:

The Size Variance, Opacity Variance and Pressure don’t seem to do anything for the ‘standard’ brush

Not quite correct; there is a way to make use of these in Publisher (except for the pressure adjustments in the Edit Brush window).

Set the size of the brush somewhat large and use the pressure setting in the stroke panel or popup (not the one in the brush editor) to adjust the pressure curve.

In the brush edit window, increase either size or opacity variance, or both.

The line should vary in those characteristics based on the curve that was set in the stroke panel (or popup in the context toolbar) for the pressure.

image.png.fb5722221b25200b1538863e8802b56c.png

Ah, I see.
The “Size Variance” and “Opacity Variance” only apply when the Pressure curve (from the Stroke panel) is something other than a steady 100%.
I don’t use Texture Brushes much so this area is something I need to learn more about.
However, the situation still remains – I think – that a Texture Line Style – if someone only has Publisher – is not something that gives anything more than a Solid Line Style does. In other words, if I only had Publisher – or was modifying, in Publisher, a document that was created solely in Publisher – selecting a Texture Line Style would give me no extra functionality over a Solid Line Style. Or have I got that wrong? It’s just that, in Publisher, Texture Line Style and Solid Line Style seem to have exactly the same functionality, which is why I asked the question as to what the Texture Line Style is there for in Publisher.