You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

unwanted converting of text into curves

Every now and then my text suddenly becomes curves - I don't know what action of mine leads to this - I'm completely unaware of when it happens.

Yesterday: copied some text from an email and put it into a textframe. saved the file and added another artboard. today: text is no editable text anymore!

Has anyone a clue?

Best

Alex

• Staff

Hi Abra100pro

It's hard to say what might be causing this without seeing your workflow. If possible are you able to provide a screen recording of this happening? You could work on a file till this happens then save it with history and send me the file as this will allow me to look through the history and see which action is causing the text to be converted.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

12 minutes ago, BofG said:

ctrl+enter will convert to curves, maybe a slightly sticky keyboard key?

On Macs, the equivalent default keyboard shortcut for the Layer menu "Convert to Curves" function is ⌘↩︎ (CMD + Return). It is fairly easy to type this by accident, particularly for those used to apps that require 'finalizing' text entry with that keystroke.

Because it is just a default keyboard shortcut, to avoid this the shortcut can be changed to something else harder to type by accident, or eliminated completely. Since most of the Affinity keyboard shortcut preferences are organized by where they appear in the menus, the shortcut will appear in the Photo > Layer section for Affinity Photo & in the Draw > Layer section for Affinity Designer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, BofG said:

ctrl+enter

Some keyboard shortcuts are very dangerous - it performs destructive operations, and overlooking them (no immediate undoing) can be very annoying.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

22 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Some keyboard shortcuts are very dangerous - it performs destructive operations

I wish the Assistant was used more.

This is a perfect example where a simple popup would inform the user what had happened and why.

Advanced users could of course turn it off.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro