You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying PNG Images into a file

When copying in png images the image is appearing with a black background. To resolve this I have to save the image and then import it as an image.

It would be great if you could just copy in a PNG from the web or another source.

image.thumb.png.d28b52abfe50bc5d1c28b9cb8d8b7df0.png

Thanks

Clyall90

Edited by clyall90

You can simply copy in PNG images. Something is happening to cause that black background, possibly something related to transparency if I had to guess.

Can you provide the URL of an image that does that, when you copy it in? Also more details on how you're copying it and getting it into Publisher, please.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

I think it's better practice to save images locally and import, instead of copy pasting directly from the web.

Walts guess is correct however, the png will have transparency that is being stripped out. It's fairly common for apps to do this, but I have logged this to see if we can do better.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can simply copy in PNG images. Something is happening to cause that black background, possibly something related to transparency if I had to guess.

Can you provide the URL of an image that does that, when you copy it in? Also more details on how you're copying it and getting it into Publisher, please.

I get these once in a while. The black IS transparent in most cases as other programs read it as such. I thought it might be older versions of PSP causing it but I am not so sure. I don't think Photo is the problem either since sometimes I will pick up a black background PNG  and if comes into PHOTO as transparent and when saved back out, the background is as we normally expect

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Someone recently asked how to get Affinity Photo (or Designer, perhaps) to save a PNG with a black transparent layer vs a white transparent layer, as it makes a difference when sprites move around in games. That's what made me think it might be a transparency issue in this case.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.