clyall90

Copying PNG Images into a file

Posted (edited)

When copying in png images the image is appearing with a black background. To resolve this I have to save the image and then import it as an image.

It would be great if you could just copy in a PNG from the web or another source.

image.thumb.png.d28b52abfe50bc5d1c28b9cb8d8b7df0.png

Thanks

Clyall90

Edited by clyall90

You can simply copy in PNG images. Something is happening to cause that black background, possibly something related to transparency if I had to guess.

Can you provide the URL of an image that does that, when you copy it in? Also more details on how you're copying it and getting it into Publisher, please.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

I think it's better practice to save images locally and import, instead of copy pasting directly from the web.

Walts guess is correct however, the png will have transparency that is being stripped out. It's fairly common for apps to do this, but I have logged this to see if we can do better.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can simply copy in PNG images. Something is happening to cause that black background, possibly something related to transparency if I had to guess.

Can you provide the URL of an image that does that, when you copy it in? Also more details on how you're copying it and getting it into Publisher, please.

I get these once in a while. The black IS transparent in most cases as other programs read it as such. I thought it might be older versions of PSP causing it but I am not so sure. I don't think Photo is the problem either since sometimes I will pick up a black background PNG  and if comes into PHOTO as transparent and when saved back out, the background is as we normally expect

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 & beta 1.8.0.486   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 beta  1.8.0.486 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.422 beta  1.7.2.458

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

Someone recently asked how to get Affinity Photo (or Designer, perhaps) to save a PNG with a black transparent layer vs a white transparent layer, as it makes a difference when sprites move around in games. That's what made me think it might be a transparency issue in this case.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta