You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change Title of PDF

When I export the document as a PDF there is no box where I can put in the title (NOT the file name) that appears in the browser window.

But when I upload a document it has a title - not one that I chose. It is the first filename that I gave the document.

How can I change the title upon export? 

• 1 year later...

I just by accident found out about this pdf title on a document that I created about a year ago and was on a website for all those months for customers to download without me knowing about this title. Thank god it wasn't a weird title, but it wasn't right for the document either.

After not finding a title-inputfield in the document settings to change this I searched on this forums and found this thread. I now understand the title is set to the first given filename and is never updated, but can be changed in a panel.

But to me this is so hidden that I'm pretty sure 99,9% of Affinity users don't know about this title field like me. Even if you find out about this thing the first place I'd look is in document settings.

Having a wrong title without even knowing about it could be 'dangerous' as who knows what the first filename was when first saving. It could have been some weird working title not intended for the final document. 

Example of when this is critical:

I create a letter/invoice/whatever for customer A and save it to customer_A as a filename. Then later I use the same file as base for a letter/invoice/whatever for customer B by copying the file and saving it to customer_B as a filename. Then, without even knowing about this title field (or forgetting about it), I would have a title with customer_A in the letter/invoice/whatever of customer B without even knowing it. As a user I would never expect the first ever filename to still be even in the file.
Now pretend there is even more critical information inside the first ever filename wich is not meant for (other) customers... and it's in all document titles that used this file as base...

I don't think it's a great idea to ever save the filename as a title.

My suggestion to Affinity on this is: please give this title field a higher priority, move in into view: move the inputfield for it to the document settings. To me that's the place to look for such a thing.

And please make sure the title is shown somewhere during the export process when exporting a PDF so people can find out this title field exists and what it is set to. Then, if not satisfied, we can find the right way to change the field, but at least we then know it's there and might be set to the wrong title and needs to be changed.

But better: never save a filename in the title field. Make sure a user entered a custom title for the document or else leave the title blank in the export or ask the user to use the filename as a title when exporting to PDF.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: (BTW I also now understand why I have never seen this wrong title; I always check PDFs in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and it is not showing the title in the header and tab, but the filename instead)

On 7/27/2020 at 4:49 AM, fde101 said:

I personally think they should default the title and author fields to blank.

You can set the Author field so it's blank for new documents. Just set it while no documents are open. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can set the Author field so it's blank for new documents. Just set it while no documents are open. 

Yes, and those of us who have been around on the forums (or who actually take the time to read the online help) know that, but someone who randomly stumbles on the program on one of the various app stores (or the Serif web site) might not be expecting to need to do that.  If they create documents which are then made public it has the potential to make their name publicly available in a manner they might not have anticipated, and depending on the nature of the material and its distribution, that can sometimes be a bad thing.

15 hours ago, fde101 said:

Yes, and those of us who have been around on the forums (or who actually take the time to read the online help) know that, but someone who randomly stumbles on the program on one of the various app stores (or the Serif web site) might not be expecting to need to do that.  If they create documents which are then made public it has the potential to make their name publicly available in a manner they might not have anticipated, and depending on the nature of the material and its distribution, that can sometimes be a bad thing.

I agree. PDF metadata is kind of hidden unless you know to go look for it, both when producing it and viewing it (depending on the software). So it is easy enough that a person might use Publisher for a long time before realizing this is happening. An empty field seems like a fair default.

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2020 at 3:05 PM, MmmMaarten said:

My suggestion to Affinity on this is: please give this title field a higher priority, move in into view: move the inputfield for it to the document settings. To me that's the place to look for such a thing.

I agree. That was also the place where I expected it to be and where I was looking first, before using the search engine.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Oliver twist said:

I have the Italian version of Affinity Designer and I don't see any "Field" (translated "Campi" in the affinity help) in my Studio menu.

The Fields panel is part of Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, Oliver twist said:

So I have to edit the document in Publisher to modify a property set automatically by Designer?

I believe so.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 months later...

I am using the latest Affinity Designer and there is no panel to choose from in the studio section.

There are no "metadata" or "fields" studios as others have suggested above where I can change this title as I export a PDF.

The title metadata of the PDF document I can't seem to find where to change this within Designer. Can someone help please?

1 hour ago, procrastanita said:

I was hoping that someone could help with suggestions about this issue with Designer?

As far as I know, you can only fix it by using Publisher to change it in your .afdesign file, or by editing the PDF that Designer produces using a PDF editor.

-- Walt
PC:

• 9 months later...

I have found this to be rather dangerous, I originally called an *.afdesign file "That Wan*er" because I was angry when trying to get something finished. Even tho I subsequently changed the name to something more appropriate, the PDF Document title still comes up when opened in Chrome. I don't know how to get rid of it, it's really embarrassing. This field needs to be blank or at least editable in the export section. Please help!

14 minutes ago, Sclong137 said:

I have found this to be rather dangerous, I originally called an *.afdesign file "That Wan*er" because I was angry when trying to get something finished. Even tho I subsequently changed the name to something more appropriate, the PDF Document title still comes up when opened in Chrome. I don't know how to get rid of it, it's really embarrassing. This field needs to be blank or at least editable in the export section. Please help!

You can change it in the Fields panel in Publisher. And only there as far as I know.

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, TrentL said:

I just discovered that this was putting my full name in the Author field,

You can adjust that by updating the Field in the Fields panel when you do not have any documents open.

-- Walt
PC:

• 5 months later...

Just going this thread now — I'm on AD V2 and clearly this is still a bug. Thanking my lucky stars I bought the full package so I can edit titles when necessary. Thanks for the info everyone!

Cheers,

Miriam.

> Let's connect: https://www.instagram.com/designermim/
> My site: https://designermim.com