You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

set default view or zoom

No, there's no option for that. But when you open or create your document, you can simply press View > Zoom > Zoom to Width or its shortcut key (Alt+Shift+0 on Windows, by default).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Or you can save a custom view point / zoom level in the Navigator panel. I never used it before, but it works.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Or you can save a custom view point / zoom level in the Navigator panel. I never used it before, but it works.

It is a view point, which incudes a zoom level and a location on the canvas to move to. That works in Photo, or in Designer when artboards are not used.

In Designer (with artboards) or Publisher, the custom view point also moves you to the artboard or page where you set it. It does not function as simply a zoom level.

Custom vew points are also document specific, and thus do not serve as a default for other documents.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

22 hours ago, lgoodwin said:

Is it possible to set a default view or default zoom value. I like to do most of my work at a zoom level which displays full page width. 

If you double-click in the Pages panel then the canvas always appears in its full width – regardless which zoom level you are in.

– For spreads: double-click on the page numbers.
– For single pages of spreads: double-click on page icon section (left/right)

9 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

You never used it but it works? O.o  I did use it and – unfortunately – it does not work like that. I would enjoy using it to set 100% view (View > Zoom > "Print Size") to real 100% on my second screen. Instead this custom preset in navigator panel saves the zoom/section for 1 specific page only. If activated from another page it jumps to its 1 and only lonely home page view.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

I did use it and – unfortunately – it does not work like that.

True. But it does work like it's documented to work :)

It is a view point, not a zoom level. When you use it you end up looking at the same view you had when you created that view point, which means zoom level and location in the document, just as in Photo and Designer.

-- Walt
PC:

Unfortunately there is no command to zoom to page width. In facing pages cmd-option-0 zooms to spread width. Usually I with cmd-1 or cmd-2 (often with object activated or text cursor within object). If I try to use zoom tool shortcut I just get a lotta spaces in my text.

For page width in facing pages you alternatively could double-click in Pages Panel on a page icon (left/right).

5 hours ago, Fixx said:

If I try to use zoom tool shortcut I just get a lotta spaces in my text. 

With cursor within a text I am able to use cmd-1 etc. failure free. – A matter of preferences, or OS version? Do other cmd-... within text work for you? ... cmd-T, cmd-J, cmd-L ?

43 minutes ago, thomaso said:

With cursor within a text I am able to use cmd-1 etc. failure free. – A matter of preferences, or OS version? Do other cmd-... within text work for you? ... cmd-T, cmd-J, cmd-L ?

Sure those work. It is just Affinity inability to accept command-space as adobe apps can; instead you have to use space-command (notice the order!).

zoom tool shortcut? ... command-space?
– To me the zoom-tool shortcut is 'Z', and within text 'Cmd-Space' jumps to finder > search and 'Space-Cmd' inserts spaces = 'Space'.