You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My photo manipulations in Affinity

degtrv

Hey! I've been taking pictures for quite a long time but now I'm more into photo manipulation and retouching. I like the software and its "Live Filters" feature makes the process so much more flexible.

Here are my first composites made in Affinity Photo.

Hope you enjoy it!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167401184@N05/

47951840487_fa27316ee8_b.jpg

47951835686_aff38c7862_b.jpg

Edited by dgtrv

Very nice indeed.

If these are you first attempts, then I'm impressed.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

1 minute ago, AffinityJules said:

Very nice indeed.

If these are you first attempts, then I'm impressed.

Thank you! These are my first attempts from coming up with an idea, picking out images to the final result. I have made about two dozens composites following tutorials and copying work of others. 

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Great stuff.
I don’t know if it was intentional but both images seem – to me at least – to have a ‘cartoony’ quality to them. And by that I mean they look more ‘drawn’ than taken with a camera, and in a good way too. I think there’s a definite Dreamworks ‘vibe’.

Thank you! I’m not sure that a “cartoony” feeling was intentional here because I don’t have great drawing skills. Things happening on images are not that realistic, this might be a reason for Dreamworks “vibe”. 

On 5/28/2019 at 5:41 PM, dgtrv said:

Hey! I've been taking pictures for quite a long time but now I'm more into photo manipulation and retouching. I like the software and its "Live Filters" feature makes the process so much more flexible.

Here are my first composites made in Affinity Photo.

Hope you enjoy it!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167401184@N05/

47951840487_fa27316ee8_b.jpg

47951835686_aff38c7862_b.jpg

Both are superb. I love the first one. The second composite ... I have an expensive monitor and it renders black BLACK. I think you should remove a little contrast from the car and the couple or reduce the level of black JUST on these two. Just an idea so everything matches the hazy look. Then again... I am not entirely sure. :)

Example:

image.png.511336aa910a689a319b475f0a03b400.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

10 hours ago, Jowday said:

Both are superb. I love the first one. The second composite ... I have an expensive monitor and it renders black BLACK. I think you should remove a little contrast from the car and the couple or reduce the level of black JUST on these two. Just an idea so everything matches the hazy look. Then again... I am not entirely sure. :)

Example:

image.png.511336aa910a689a319b475f0a03b400.png

Thank you! You’re completely right. I currently work on my old MacBook Air with a TN panel, which doesn’t render any colors accurately. I received a nice IPS monitor today as a gift, so I’m going to be a little more precise with contrast and colors now. 

Congrats with your new monitor and thanks for a kind reply. Looking forward to forthcoming creations from you. :)

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

The first is divine, The second is cool too but would love to see one with the car the other way shining the headlights onto the moon and the couple standing on the headlight beam like it's a path and guy holding the girl so she can reach out with a finger to touch the moon.

Or have them floating in the headlight beam doing the same thing. 

Or have the truck with a ladder standing in the back going up to the moon and again a similar thing, maybe he's holding the ladder and she's at the top touching the moon, that would be so cool.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

13 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The first is divine, The second is cool too but would love to see one with the car the other way shining the headlights onto the moon and the couple standing on the headlight beam like it's a path and guy holding the girl so she can reach out with a finger to touch the moon.

Or have them floating in the headlight beam doing the same thing. 

Or have the truck with a ladder standing in the back going up to the moon and again a similar thing, maybe he's holding the ladder and she's at the top touching the moon, that would be so cool.

Thank you! You definitely have imagination and I will take your ideas for my upcoming projects if you don't mind. The biggest problem with compositing though is finding stock images that fit together.

3 hours ago, dgtrv said:

Thank you! You definitely have imagination and I will take your ideas for my upcoming projects if you don't mind. The biggest problem with compositing though is finding stock images that fit together.

you're welcome :ph34r: Go for it would love to see them become art. I agree, patience will win out on that score. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hey! As you might have noticed I like moon and nighttime pictures, so here is my another take on photo manipulation in Affinity Photo. Version 1.7 brought quite a few features that made compositing easier. New HSL adjustment is something I've been waiting for.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167401184@N05/with/48020464082/

There is a Bulb at the Edge_small_2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dgtrv said:

Hey! Here's my take on Penrose triangle.

Very nicely done. I love these impossible figures!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, Imeling said:

that looks pretty incredible 
there's a lot of reasons to start using Affinity
cause of my current app I had many problems with my freelance job - editing for Rabato website 

Thank you! Glad you liked it.

I have been using Affinity Suite for my personal work and freelance for almost 2 years now and it has been great.