You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Afternoon all,

I'm about to bid adieu to my 2010 13" Macbook Pro. The obvious alternative is the Macbook Pro 13". However I'm extremely tempted by the new Macbook 12", but I'm concerned about performance when using Affinity.

Has anyone tried it out yet? I mostly work in web development, so I don't really have to worry about heavy overheads day-to-day, but I do use Affinity for vector tinkering.

+1 for @Signguy.  The new MB looks sleek and should have more than enough grunt but is, shall we say, interface challenged (unless you are willing and able to depend on cloud work environment).

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

• Staff

The only downside is that there are a lot of pixels and not a lot of CPU to generate the data to fill them... I think that it should be fine, but I'm still waiting for santa to buy me one (hint, hint - anyone listening?) so I can see it in the real world... Genuinely, I think we should hands-down be the best option you can get on it, but as to what that experience will be - I need to see it in real life to actually be able to advise you properly (hence why I've been silent so far...)  I've read that its CPU performs like a 2011 MacBook Air, which is not fantastic, but fine - but its display has 2.5 times more pixels that the CPU needs to draw the document for, so I just wanted to add some perspective that in terms of 'grunt' it's actually maybe borderline how it responds in the real world... Like I say, if santa comes early and I happen to find one at the end of the bed one day, I'll let you know how it is - I think they look amazing!!! :)

Good points all, thanks for contributing.

It does seem that in most CPU intensive operations it lags way behind the similarly priced MBP. But as it's only 1.1Ghz, who's surprised?

The form factor and screen appear to be the biggest lures. I walk past the Covent Garden shop each day after work - they have stock every now and then, but you've got to be fast.

Some operation comparisons here.

Since nobody seems to have had any real experience with Affinity and the MacBook12 so far, I want to say that I would be also really interested in a real review. 

I´ve seen some videos with Photoshop and FinalCutPro where it does not seem to be to bad.

PS. On Friday I´m going to take a look at a macBook 12 in an Apple Store an try out the overall performance. 

• Staff

I'm also curious about its performance with Affinity. I'm using an old 2008 Macbook 2.0GHz (Core 2 Duo) with 8 GB RAM and a  256 SSD Samsung 840 Pro + Nvidia 9400M and it's perfectly fine for Affinity, but it obviously doesn't have a retina display which is always much more stressful than a regular one. Looking forward for your impressions.

Today i took a look at the macBook in an Apple Store.

I was surprised that they hat FinalCutPro installed an the machines but it offered me the possibility to mess around with it a little bit.

To my surprise it was´t to bad, there was some noticeable lag at some points but it´s possible to do some basic edits you would like to do on a 12 inch screen.

Office tasks were fluid as on a MacBook Pro or iMac. (really)

I would bet that Affinity is going to work fine on a MacBook 12 ! 

just read the new Affinity Review and want to quote Matt Priestley

„Making the pan and zoom feel so smooth was a massive challenge – I’ve spent such a lot of time on getting this to ‘feel’ right. I started off by writing it for the iPad 2 to make sure that a CPU-starved device would still deliver a great experience, then implemented it on OS X and kept on fine-tuning and benchmarking until we got it to ‘feel’ right.“

Auszug aus: Serif. „Affinity Review #2.“ iBooks.

With this in mind i think we could close this thread :)

cheers!