Sign in to follow this  
Awtd

How to read EXIF data from a .afphoto document

Re-posting in the right forum...

Can Serif  provides a suitable API for reading EXIF data from a Affinity Photo document (.afphoto) ?

Or has the Affinity Photo file format been documented somewhere so tools like NeoFinder can read these values of EXIF data ?

Thanks

PS. Neofinder Web site: https://www.cdfinder.de/en/info.html

In a way, your prior post was in the proper spot, @Awtd, as it was in Suggestions, and you start out asking if Serif can provide a new function :)

Yes, they could, if they decide they want to.

And no, the .afphoto file format is not documented. Though, apparently, some vendors have figured out how to read the thumbnails that Affinity Photo can store in the .afphoto file.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

I have moved this thread back to Feature Requests as I feel it is a better fit there.

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In a way, your prior post was in the proper spot, @Awtd, as it was in Suggestions, and you start out asking if Serif can provide a new function :)

Yes, they could, if they decide they want to.

And no, the .afphoto file format is not documented. Though, apparently, some vendors have figured out how to read the thumbnails that Affinity Photo can store in the .afphoto file.

Thanks for the reply.  Mat I ask which vendors have figured out to read  Affinity Photo thumbnails ?

Thanks

37 minutes ago, Awtd said:

Mat I ask which vendors have figured out to read  Affinity Photo thumbnails ?

At least XnViewMP; I'm not sure which others.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

I just downloaded XnViewMP. It can read Exif data from jpg, tiff and NEF(raw) file but can not read exif data from the afphoto file.  See attached screen shot.

1150579076_ScreenShot2019-05-28at8_21_34PM.thumb.png.441ba66f4a57c22819e753e98b9cae25.png

Serif  why don't you make available an API to read the exif data you have in afphoto document ? Why don't you publish your file format ?  That would allow application like XnViewMP and NeoFinder to get read access to your affinity document and many people would benefit from it.... Be opened

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Though, apparently, some vendors have figured out how to read the thumbnails that Affinity Photo can store in the .afphoto file.

Well on Macs (OS X) they can reuse Apple's Quick Look for this (image thumb preview), since Serif already adds plugins for their Affinity file types to the OS. - They may have something like that for Win too, don't know or looked there, since I mostly use TC there and not Win Explorer.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan