You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to read EXIF data from a .afphoto document

In a way, your prior post was in the proper spot, @Awtd, as it was in Suggestions, and you start out asking if Serif can provide a new function :)

Yes, they could, if they decide they want to.

And no, the .afphoto file format is not documented. Though, apparently, some vendors have figured out how to read the thumbnails that Affinity Photo can store in the .afphoto file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In a way, your prior post was in the proper spot, @Awtd, as it was in Suggestions, and you start out asking if Serif can provide a new function :)

Yes, they could, if they decide they want to.

And no, the .afphoto file format is not documented. Though, apparently, some vendors have figured out how to read the thumbnails that Affinity Photo can store in the .afphoto file.

Thanks for the reply.  Mat I ask which vendors have figured out to read  Affinity Photo thumbnails ?

Thanks

37 minutes ago, Awtd said:

Mat I ask which vendors have figured out to read  Affinity Photo thumbnails ?

At least XnViewMP; I'm not sure which others.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just downloaded XnViewMP. It can read Exif data from jpg, tiff and NEF(raw) file but can not read exif data from the afphoto file.  See attached screen shot.

1150579076_ScreenShot2019-05-28at8_21_34PM.thumb.png.441ba66f4a57c22819e753e98b9cae25.png

Serif  why don't you make available an API to read the exif data you have in afphoto document ? Why don't you publish your file format ?  That would allow application like XnViewMP and NeoFinder to get read access to your affinity document and many people would benefit from it.... Be opened

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Though, apparently, some vendors have figured out how to read the thumbnails that Affinity Photo can store in the .afphoto file.

Well on Macs (OS X) they can reuse Apple's Quick Look for this (image thumb preview), since Serif already adds plugins for their Affinity file types to the OS. - They may have something like that for Win too, don't know or looked there, since I mostly use TC there and not Win Explorer.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2