You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selective View Modes

Working on a very complex drawing, it occurs to me that the all-or-nothing view modes are less useful than being able to toggle view modes for individual Layers (or even elements) would be. Particularly for outline mode, I really wish that I could select a given layer and switch just that layer to Outline View mode, while leaving other layers in Vector Mode. 

karim,

Have you tried using the Split View? It is very useful but It isn't the same as what you are talking about. I agree with you, there are times when it would be very useful to be able to change one layer to outlines while leaving others as regular view. You can do this in Illustrator and while it isn't something that I used to use a lot, when I needed it, it was a life-saver.  

Hokusai

Edited by Hokusai

Thank you!

The split view is nice, but doesn't really solve the particular need I have which is when working on a very intensely layered drawing with lots of texture/effects-heavy objects, sometimes I need to manipulate a particular object or layer in relation to other parts of the drawing, and it can be hard to see/select the right parts of the drawing among all the detail. Being able to set the reference layers to outline but keep the layer I'm actively editing in vector mode solves that problem.

MattP,

Thanks for considering it. I recommend to give it a try in Illustrator (if you have a copy  ;)). Command click on the Visibility icon of a layer will make only that layer Outlines, as karim said, for complex drawings it is very helpful. 

Hokusai

• 7 months later...

I really hope the ability to apply outline mode to individual layers will be a feature in future versions of Designer. Coming from being a long term Illustrator user this is something i really miss. Apart from this and a few other small things I'm really enjoying using Affinity Designer. Thanks for all the hard work and updates.

Jim