You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Highlight as Article Header

Hi everyone!

I’m relatively new to Publisher and I am pretty happy that it functions somewhat similar to InDesign, which I’m used to especially the pre-CC versions. 

So I've been trying to tweak the look of my title below that is in highlighted in green below. Is there any way to customize the highlight’s position in relation to the text currently? I haven’t found any such options or am I missing something? Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks all

ACC7F18C-EB4C-436B-A150-C51A2D6E21A8.jpeg

Edited by Kevin Lee

Depends on whether that is text in a Text Frame or text made with the Artistic Text tool. Check out the Decorations in a Paragraph Style.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Kevin Lee said:

So I've been trying to tweak the look of my title below that is in highlighted in green below. Is there any way to customize the highlight’s position in relation to the text currently?

I think I misunderstood what you were asking for.

Have you selected the text so that the green colour I am seeing is the selected text in a highlighted green colour? I have blue as my nightlight colour, do you have green as yours?

If yes to both questions then you can't change how the colour is located, what you are seeing at the end of each word are the invisible characters for a Paragraph Return (x3) and the end of the text.

You don't need to select all the text if you are making changes with paragraph style options or even with character style options, the text caret just needs to be in the Paragraph for the paragraph options to work and the caret being in a word will change the whole word with the character style options.

If however you mean something different by the word highlight I will need clarification.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I think I misunderstood what you were asking for.

Have you selected the text so that the green colour I am seeing is the selected text in a highlighted green colour? I have blue as my nightlight colour, do you have green as yours?

If yes to both questions then you can't change how the colour is located, what you are seeing at the end of each word are the invisible characters for a Paragraph Return (x3) and the end of the text.

You don't need to select all the text if you are making changes with paragraph style options or even with character style options, the text caret just needs to be in the Paragraph for the paragraph options to work and the caret being in a word will change the whole word with the character style options.

If however you mean something different by the word highlight I will need clarification.

It’s a styling I’m going for. The highlight will show in the final result as per screenshot below. ECF1FC78-81D2-4CDB-B0D6-F410D0B149BC.thumb.jpeg.14eaaf99695683c9016f60bbf19937ce.jpeg

I am still stumbling on the word Highlight.

Here I have highlighted the word Text (it is highlighted in blue because I selected it with the text caret) above is some text with a Decoration applied to the lines (actually 3 separate Paragraphs)

1463827832_ScreenShot2019-05-27at9_28_49AM.png.c964efaabace224915c242649ec62bd2.png

Do you want to do something with the green behind the black letters from the top example? If so what do you want to do? Have it spread out or fade or be a different colour etc.

Yup. I want to adjust the way the green appears behind the black text. You see how it currently has too much headroom above the word “Luscious”. Also notice how all green highlight is right on the edge of every first Letter of every line? How do I adjust that?

11 hours ago, Kevin Lee said:

I want to adjust the way the green appears behind the black text. 

Hello @Kevin Lee,

you do this with decorations (look at 'Text Styles > Edit Text Style (from the right hamburger menu > Decorations (the bottom most entry').

1. Enable Decorations.
  2. Below 'Decoration 1' click on the fill button (all the way right) to give the paragraph a fill decoration.
  3. Further down select a color from the colour swatch.
  4. With 'Indent' you can finely control the size of the 'highlight' as you call it.
Note: you have to make sure that each line of your article header is a seperate paragraph to achieve an effect like in your screenshot. Otherwise the fill will cover the entire paragraph more like a rectangle.

I hope this helps :)
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hello @dominik,

Thanks for that. Not quite the solution that I was looking for but yes, that would give a finer great of tuning. The text highlight is in Edit Text Style in Character. As shown below. 

So as you can see with the highlight you can somewhat add more space left and right of the word, you can just can't change the line height of the highlight it seems, other than that workaround you presented. 

Cheers!

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 11.27.19.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 11.24.06.png

4 hours ago, Kevin Lee said:

Hello @dominik,

Thanks for that. Not quite the solution that I was looking for but yes, that would give a finer great of tuning. The text highlight is in Edit Text Style in Character. As shown below. 

So as you can see with the highlight you can somewhat add more space left and right of the word, you can just can't change the line height of the highlight it seems, other than that workaround you presented. 

Cheers!

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 11.27.19.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 11.24.06.png

Hi @Kevin Lee,

I know about the highlight, it just doesn't give the same amount of fine detail as the decorations. In effect both should look the same. Interestingly you could even add 'multiple highlights' with decorations :o

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil