You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, The Olderfleet said:

If AP had an XMP-type file format,

Regardless of XMP or a suitable database catalog type (as used by various RAW editor apps) – maybe you want to add your vote to this feature request:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I think you are referring to the way Adobe Camera RAW saves the metadata for Camera RAW edits in an XMP file (non-destructively).  From a RAW file editing perspective, this would be helpful, and a deficiency in APhoto.  Once a RAW file is 'developed' in APhoto, as far as I can tell, cannot go back an adjust the changes made in Develop mode.  Have to start over from scratch.

At least with Adobe Camera RAW saving the metadata, if I have to start over, Camera RAW will open with the previous edits.

As for linking all changes in APhoto to the original file and saving all changes in a metadata file, I don't suggest we hold our breath waiting for that.  Not even Photoshop uses that approach -- but it is a great idea.  This is how NLE video editing software works. 

• 7 months later...

Hate to bring back the old topics, but it looks like the problem is still there. I have started to notice this from only recently, and it appears to be the problem on like 100 files or so, I've worked on recently.

As part of a workflow I worked on 1200x1200 and 1250x687 images, all RGB/8 images. My experiments have proved that on each saving the Affinity Photo is adding like 2-3 new MB to the file size, whatever I do. As a last desperate action I chose Rasterize & Trim, too - still new 2-3 MB.

For example, my last 1250x687 RGB/8, only one background layer - file is now 43.9M which is more than ridiculous.

The history saving is turned off.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug and the file is full of garbage data.

3 minutes ago, Dalibor Puljiz said:

I'm pretty sure this is a bug and the file is full of garbage data.

I do not know the details but supposedly the way Affinity works is to serialize changes to the document at the end of the file, & then at some point (not controlled by the user) performs garbage collection to reduce the file size.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just made an experiment to a 43MB (1250x0687 RGB/8 single layer) file: 

1. Turned on the History Saving
  2. Saved the file, it got increased to 46MB
  3. Reopened, turned off history, saved back to "only" 30MB

It's still ridiculous. Such file should not be bigger than 2.5MB, fully uncompressed. (1250x687x3 bytes)

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I do not know the details but supposedly the way Affinity works is to serialize changes to the document at the end of the file, & then at some point (not controlled by the user) performs garbage collection to reduce the file size.

In this I am reminded a bit of *BSD's LFS (Log Structured File system). I did some work with this about 24 years ago on FreeBSD. It's not quite right to say that LFS is (or rather was) an append file file system, but it in places it sort of is. It's certainly easier to think of it like that. It's a very fast file system for writes, but the downside comes with garbage collection - getting rid of deleted data, which is not at the end of the file system. Rather than see file size growth I saw unexplained (or rather fully explained and understood) file system usage growth, with sudden 'magical' space recovery. 

LFS was removed from FreeBSD way back. Searching for it just now shows it was removed back in 1998 (about the time I was looking at it). You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log-structured_File_System_(BSD)