You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you invert masks (i.e. masks like in Pixelmator)?

Example: I have a vector layer and a triangle on a separate vector layer (visual). I want to use this triangle as a mask so that it OCCLUDES the contents of the first layer.

In Pixelmator you could do this by adding a white mask (default) and painting a black triangle on it.

I know I could create a vector rectangle that covers the whole canvas and subtract the triangle from it, then use that as the mask (visual), but is there a simpler way? Especially because when I use a compound as a mask, I cannot edit it without removing it as a mask, changing it and adding it as a mask again.

Edited by hawk

♥️Affinity v2; macOS 14; ⌨️🖱; recreational user since 2014.

I know I could create a vector rectangle that covers the whole canvas and subtract the triangle from it, then use that as the mask (visual), but is there a simpler way? Especially because when I use a compound as a mask, I cannot edit it without removing it as a mask, releasing the compound, changing it, recreating the compound and adding it as a mask again.

If you do what you're suggesting, but do a non-destructive subtract (hold down Option while clicking the subtract button), then you can set the resulting compound shape as a mask, and edit the elements within the subtraction without releasing/unmasking... I just tried it and it works fine.

I did do a non-destructive compound (it should be the default, IMO) and that doesn't work for me.

I just tried it again (screenshot). I can only edit it if I remove it from the mask mode.

Hmm... maybe I'm misunderstanding, as mine doesn't look like that at all. I'm using the Opt-Subtract, and then making the shape a Mask Layer (white square with a black circle). Is that not what you're doing? 

Edit: Sorry... Nevermind... you're right... I wasn't seeing things correctly, and got a false positive from my test.

Okay. I'm very confused.

I said before that I had to release the compound before being able to edit it but that's also false, so I edited my post.