Arun Sarkar

[By Design] Issue with "Auto Correct Option : Change Straight Quotes to Typographic Quotes

"Change Straight Quotes to Typographic Quotes" feature in "Auto Correct Option" under preference being always active even when I un-tick (deactivate) it.

Can someone please confirm it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards

Arun

Serif Software user since 2008 | Not an active forum user since July 4, 2019 after getting a nice response from Developer.

Confirmed.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

2 hours ago, Arun Sarkar said:

"Change Straight Quotes to Typographic Quotes" feature in "Auto Correct Option" under preference being always active even when I un-tick (deactivate) it.

Seems to work OK for me

My "quotes" change depending on if it is ticked or not

Windows 8.1

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

36 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Seems to work OK for me

My "quotes" change depending on if it is ticked or not

Windows 8.1

Me too on Win 8.1

But it always comes like this [ ‘ ’ ] not like this [ ' '  ] when feature is not activated or un-ticked. (May be it is not a big issue for others but for me my ANSI Bengali fonts does not work properly as due to this feature character change when typed.) 

Serif Software user since 2008 | Not an active forum user since July 4, 2019 after getting a nice response from Developer.

I'll revise my "Confirmed" above :)

Double quotes are processed correctly; depending on that autocorrect option they either come out as " or as  and . Single quotes and apostrophes are always typographic/curled, regardless of the autocorrect setting.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'll revise my "Confirmed" above :)

................... Single quotes and apostrophes are always typographic/curled, regardless of the autocorrect setting.

Thanks a lot Walt for confirmation twice.

On 5/27/2019 at 5:36 PM, walt.farrell said:

Single quotes and apostrophes are always typographic/curled, regardless of the autocorrect setting.

Dear Serif

Is it "By Design" feature?

If yes, please let me know so that I can ask my Indic Language ANSI font vendor if they like to change their font (At least those ANSI fonts works but now two character makes problem in my script and Affinity does not support basis Indic language Open Type font (LR) )

39 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

I've logged this with our developers for further investigations. 

Thanks a lot Gabe :)

I've just had an update:

Single quotes are intentionally different. There's a separate option "Support language dependent single typographic quotes" which changes their behaviour from the default (where straight quotes are replaced with typographic in order to allow apostrophes) to language dependent, where they may be replaced with guillemets, low quotes and so on. We don't currently have a third option for keeping straight single quotes (not sure of the use case) but you can always Ctrl-Z to cancel an individual auto-correct if needed.

Closed as By Design

3 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Closed as By Design

I think auto correct options should be like PP when you don't support basic LTR Indic language open type fonts. At least we can use ANSI Indic fonts if straight single quote behave like PP. 

Disappointed. 

I don't want correct quote, type in " ' ".

Single quotes and apostrophes are always typographic/curled, don't check in preference in auto correct tab, it show.

how to solve it?

I type first sentence in 'Mon'. show curled quote.

second sentence in 'Mon' . quote type . undo it. show it. " ' ".

Please.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 12.48.16 PM.png

Apparently the only way to get straight single quotes right now is to type the quote mark, then immediately type Ctrl+Z to undo the autocorrection that makes it a typographic quote. Or to use copy/paste.

Or, when you're all done, you could use Find/Replace to change them. Do a regular expression Find for [‘’] and replace with '

-- Walt

On 6/23/2019 at 6:30 PM, walt.farrell said:

Apparently the only way to get straight single quotes right now is to type the quote mark, then immediately type Ctrl+Z to undo the autocorrection that makes it a typographic quote. Or to use copy/paste.

Or, when you're all done, you could use Find/Replace to change them. Do a regular expression Find for [‘’] and replace with '

Hello Walt,

Your suggestion is perfect when you only need this " ' ". But when you worked with other language font in ANSI mode then it become painful, specially your other language font contain conjunct character with " ' " glyph. At that time Affinity's auto correct + (IME) immediately change that conjunct charter with a different one.

I wish at least auto correct should worked like PP with " ' " or Serif should support basic GPOS of open type feature.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, walt.farrell said:

Apparently the only way to get straight single quotes right now is to type the quote mark, then immediately type Ctrl+Z to undo

This is a pro feature, not for amateurs. :)

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5