You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac OSX: Dictionaries UK/US English

In Affinity Designer, in the "Character" dialog for spell checking, I only get English (United Kingdom) among other (approx. 10) languages, but I need US English for spell checking.

I have read that Publisher uses the OSX dictionaries, so I thought Designer would do so as well. I checked which languages I have installed in System Prefs/Language and Region, and there are German, English, English (US) and English (UK) listed. Totally different items than what is offered in Designer.

How can I add US English? If Designer uses HUNSPELL, where do I need to put the files?

BTW. I dont understand why the Language option is in the "Characters" panel. I would clearly look for it in the "Paragraph" panel

I think this is the thread where I found the information that I was referring to. But this applies only to Windows. The preferences box of AD on Mac OS X does not contain the "dictionary path" as shown in the screenshot (which was obviously done on Windows). This appears consistent with the explanation given that on OSX the Affinity programs use the dictionaries installed on the System. But this does not seem to be the case???

But you are right - maybe I should rather post my question in reply to that thread, even though it is quite old...

1 hour ago, p10n said:

BTW. I dont understand why the Language option is in the "Characters" panel. I would clearly look for it in the "Paragraph" panel

It is in the Characters panel because if it was in the Paragraph panel, you could not for example type "color" & "colour" in the same paragraph without one of them being marked as misspelled. As it is, if in Designer Preferences > General you have set the UI language preference to either "English" or "English (United States)" you can then in the Character panel select (highlight) any word or other text run & choose among "None" (so no spell checking is performed) or either of the two English choices.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

It is in the Characters panel because if it was in the Paragraph panel, you could not for example type "color" & "colour" in the same paragraph without one of them being marked as misspelled.

OK, true, you are right. (However, I personally believe that if I had such a mixed text, I would probably spend the time by proof-reading it thoroughly instead of caring to switch language for each word... :-) )

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

As it is, if in Designer Preferences > General you have set the UI language preference to either "English" or "English (United States)" you can then in the Character panel select (highlight) any word or other text run & choose among "None" (so no spell checking is performed) or either of the two English choices.

I do not see why the chosen UI language should have an implication on the spell checker, and I am glad it does not seem to. My UI language is usually German. To test it, I changed the UI language to US English, but this did not have an effect on the Character panel, it still offers UK English only (see screenshot). Are you seeing both UK English and US English in the list?

1216316285_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-27um16_28_35.png.21519ad38e983703b6688beb2bab9321.png

31 minutes ago, p10n said:

Are you seeing both UK English and US English in the list?

Yes. This is what I get with the Affinity Designer preference set either to Default (which is the macOS System Preferences > Language & Region "English (U.S.)" for me); or to "English (United States)" or "English" (which is U.K. English):
1228694629_charpanel.jpg.518e0fec21edf2213a1bc98915a4efa1.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. Your set of available languages is totally different. I think it is related to the Operating System (OSX), I assume you have an english-language OS setup.

Isnt there anybody who knows how to install additional languages for AD? Just installing them in OSX (as suggested elsewhere) did not help for me.