You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple issues editing raw files in a stack to composite image

I am attempting to load .nef files into a stack then load them into the photo persona to edit each image individually as a layer.  When i get them all loaded as layers, I cannot perform simple edits such as paint brush or erase. Even adding layer masks seems to do nothing. The only manipulation I can manage is the clone tool. I thought at first that it was because of having to develop the raw files but i have the same issue when loading images as .jpeg files in the stack. I've followed the steps layed out in your tutorial videos but they don't exactly conform to the technique i use for composite light painting images. Without diving too deep into my process, I stack the images then either paint or erase out my lighting as necessary. I'm a relatively new user coming, I must be missing something. The attached image is a flattened version of my raws. There's gold in there, I'm just trying to set it free, please help.

Chevy Rollback Light Paint Affiniy Fail.jpg

Edited by kellerkustom
spelling error

Start with just a couple of images and experiment with the the different blending modes in the Stack.

1396854572_ScreenShot2019-05-26at12_53_13PM.thumb.png.e562933def20939b68fd80c3af1c913b.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I'll assume that's the Light Painting Blending tutorial. If not, please tell us which one you're using.

From your description of what you're trying to do, I think that once you've accomplished the alignment, you should ungroup the images (right click on the layer stack in the Layers panel, and choose Ungroup. Or select the stack group and Ctrl+Shift+G. Or from the menu, Arrange > Ungroup.

Note that the presenter did not paint on layers in the stack while it was grouped. At about 2:25 into that video he created a new pixel layer above the stack, and painted on that.

If you want to paint directly on the layers, I believe you need to ungroup them, making them normal layers rather than a layer stack.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you want to paint directly on the layers, I believe you need to ungroup them, making them normal layers rather than a layer stack.

No need to ungroup. I could paint and erase on the layers inside the group. Have to admit I never thought about doing such a thing until this was brought up, gives me more to think about. May prove to be quite useful with the stuff I do so thanks @kellerkustom.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

No need to ungroup. I could paint and erase on the layers inside the group. Have to admit I never thought about doing such a thing until this was brought up, gives me more to think about. May prove to be quite useful with the stuff I do so thanks @kellerkustom.

Interesting. On Windows, I don't seem to be able to. Some kinds of painting did something (I'm not sure what) but most painting didn't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Some kinds of painting did something (I'm not sure what) but most painting didn't.

I will have to investigate further on this topic but I agree with the I'm Not Sure What part. May well be the title for my magnum opus.

Your video is hard to see in detail but it looks like the Flow setting in the context toolbar for the brush is set to 0%.

Try changing that to 100% and paint again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm sorry about the upload quality. That was my first youtube vid. It recorded in 4K. I'm not sure why it is only in 360p. Just tried the flow and although it was very jittery it seemed to work. Thank you. The jitters may be coming from the fact that it is nearly a 5gb working file.

The youtube video is 1080p 60f not 360p, 360p would have been set for streaming ease, you can alter it on the video menu at the bottom. 

On the brush settings try setting the spacing to 0%

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions