Hello all,

Looking for recommendations/advice as to which version of Affinity i.e.: Designer or Photo, would be best primarily for making snazzy book covers. I've been doing research on both and so far it seems Photo might be the best bet. However there seem to be some add-ons for Designer (like fire and smoke effects) that I'd like to get my dirty leetle paws on as well. :-P

Further to that, any thoughts or experiences on how well the software would run on an MacBook Air would be helpful as well. I have an early 2015 MacBook Air, currently using OS High Sierra. (Haven't updated to Mojave yet, not sure I'm going to until a later date perhaps.)

Any input is greatly appreciated, with thanks.

Affinity Photo's main field is bitmap/raster images, where Designer strength are more vector graphics oriented.

2 hours ago, Ethan Walter said:

However there seem to be some add-ons for Designer (like fire and smoke effects)...

Such effects aka Styles, are also available and do also work in Photo. - For the MacBook Air hardware can't tell, but if other software runs well on it's configuration, then the Affinity apps should too. High Sierra is no problem, I still use El Capitan here on an old Mac.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

It would help if you could tell us more about what kind of "snazzy book covers" you are interested in making. To begin with, do you mean covers printed directly on paperback & hardback books; or the kind of paper covers typically included with hardback books that have five sections for the front & back covers, the spline, & the two folded over inside panels?

Beyond that, are you interested in including photos or photorealistic content, abstract patterns, artwork in various painterly styles, a mix of several of these content types, or what?

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Try both, and then buy both. For what they can do, the Affinity apps are spectacularly inexpensive.

The software appears to work very well on any hardware capable of running it. But like any graphic app, the more hardware resource there is, the better.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

On 5/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, Ethan Walter said:

Hello all,

Looking for recommendations/advice as to which version of Affinity i.e.: Designer or Photo, would be best primarily for making snazzy book covers. I've been doing research on both and so far it seems Photo might be the best bet. However there seem to be some add-ons for Designer (like fire and smoke effects) that I'd like to get my dirty leetle paws on as well. :-P tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

Further to that, any thoughts or experiences on how well the software would run on an MacBook Air would be helpful as well. I have an early 2015 MacBook Air, currently using OS High Sierra. (Haven't updated to Mojave yet, not sure I'm going to until a later date perhaps.)

Any input is greatly appreciated, with thanks.