You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer + future apps listed at Lynda.com

Maybe this is a bit silly to ask but I'm a real fan of Lynda.com and the way they teach people how to use software with essential training video's.

Is there maybe some opportunity that the Affinity people can reach out to Lynda.com and provide them with a top designer who knows Affinity Designer inside out. I would really like to have some sort of training course about this software. Tutorials are create and very helpful (thanks) but I think when you really want to start doing things right you need a solid understanding of all the settings, tools and layouts before you can start creating stuff..

I bought Affinity Designer at launch day and to be honest I haven't got the most out of it. When I see video's like this show up at Vimeo I feel like really stupid not knowing such a great feature is part of the app and I'm not using it.

When someone professional teaches you all the essentials you can't miss out on these features and will never forget to use them because they become part of your workflow.

Thanks,

Edit; changed feature to future in topic title.

Edit 2.

Update, released.

http://www.lynda.com/Masking-Compositing-tutorials/Affinity-Photo-Essential-Training/453344-2.html

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

Shmoo,

I love Lynda.com too. It is one if the top subscription based services for creatives. I do have a course on a competitive education platform. Have you considered it? I have my own particular style of teaching. You can check out the course in the link provided in my signature below. Read the reviews from some of my previous students and watch some of the free demo videos to get a feel for the course. Let me know if you have any further questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also recommend trying to get a basic project course up on Skillshare.com, just for visibility. Also perhaps pursue a promotion deal through Teamtreehouse.com for more visibility with the web/development community. That's where I'm spending a good bit of my time recently. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My letter to them, this morning:

Hello,

I would like to know when are you going to create series of course about future Adobe killer: Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

You probably know that they won the highest price at WWDC2015 https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-designer-wins-prestigious-apple-design-award/

I think it's the time...
:)

Kind Regards,
Olaf Keller

And the response:

Hello Olaf,

Thank you for contacting lynda.com.

We really appreciate hearing from you regarding ideas for educational material you would like to see added to the lynda.com library. Currently, we do not have Affinity Designeror Affinity Photo training in production. However, we keep every request on file, and your request has been forwarded to our Title Development team for consideration.

Stay tuned to lynda.com for new releases, or keep tabs on us through the blog, our Facebook fan page, or Twitter.

Please let us know if we may be of assistance in the future.

Best regards,
Len
lynda.com Technical Support
888-335-9632

• 4 weeks later...

Thank to you all to those who has reached out to Lynda.com and asked for support on this. I've done the same so let's hope we'll see some courses in the next few months.

Some other source isn't an option for me, not right now at least.  I've been using Lynda.com for years now and it's so great. Maybe the pro's among us will laugh about it but I really learned a lot from their courses. It's easy to follow, professional, straight to the point and most important you get to feeling they're just human like yourself.

I've also seen a few WordPress related courses of TeamTreeHouse but it wasn't great in my opinion, it's really dissolute to follow because they are trying to hard.

They are so over the top acting like they have to complete with Robert De Niro. If your native language isn't English you simply have to focus a little bit deeper at what's being said to follow a course and understand everything.

When you have a guy like this making hand signals like he does and trying to articulate? so perfect and sharp you'll get lost an unfocused within a single minute and you're more focusing at him rather than what's being said.

https://youtu.be/SpiOaJFD9Rg

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

• 3 weeks later...

This is my own personal opinion: If Lynda.com does start an Affinity Designer/Photo course, it will be a great thing. However, I'm not holding my breath and this is why. Lynda.com has unofficially acted as Adobe's commercial for so many years that I doubt that the big, red "A" would want them to promote anyone who has the potential to take away a substantial portion of their market share. My test is simple, Designer will have been around for a year in October. If, by October 2015--with all the press Designer has been getting--lynda.com STILL does not have it on the radar for a course, I think it's safe to say that we all know who's keeping that from happening behind the scenes.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my own personal opinion: If Lynda.com does start an Affinity Designer/Photo course, it will be a great thing. However, I'm not holding my breath and this is why. Lynda.com has unofficially acted as Adobe's commercial for so many years that I doubt that the big, red "A" would want them to promote anyone who has the potential to take away a substantial portion of their market share. My test is simple, Designer will have been around for a year in October. If, by October 2015--with all the press Designer has been getting--lynda.com STILL does not have it on the radar for a course, I think it's safe to say that we all know who's keeping that from happening behind the scenes.

Pretty Much,..I was thinking something similar, because in almost every tutorial Lynda shares it's almost always sponsored by Adobe. Them joining the ride to promote Affinity Products would probably rub Adobe the wrong way, unless there is some contract or clause they can use to do so will still maintaining a good relationship with Adobe. 

I look forward to seeing major tutorials however on places like SkillShare, CreativeLive, Udemy (in addition to Ronnie's course that is) and also perhaps real in-depth tutorials directly from the source - the Affinity team! Stuff like designing a UX.UI layout, creating mockups, drawing an elaborate scene in Designer, etc.

I totally don't have this opinion.

It's all about what you're trying to learn I guess. If you're only interested in digital art and/or print design - yeah of course you'll run into Adobe software a lot. But that's not because Adobe is paying almost every speaking voice out there, you can't hide the fact Adobe software is the global standard and used by most professionals for years now when it comes to the creative industry. What Serif is doing with Affinity software that couldn't be done 5 or 7 years ago. I don't think Lynda.com gets paid by Adobe to create those courses. Maybe Adobe reaches out to Lynda.com to advise on some sort of level or give them 'licensed by Adobe teachers' to create those courses but that would only benefit us to ensure we learn everything the right way if you're interested in learning Photoshop for example.. That's why I posted this topic here. I really would like the people at Serif/Affinity to reach out to Lynda.com and tell them, hey, if you're planning on creating courses about our software, this person is king and knows everything very well - maybe ask him/her to teach the course about our software because we care people will learn it the right way.

I'm a long time member of Lynda.com, I pay about 3 to 4 months a year to learn new or update myself about some topics. 2 years ago I made the switch and moved away from everything Adobe involved because it as doable at that time as a web developer.

This is what I have watched over the last year or so..  Nothing involves Adobe.

http://www.lynda.com/Slack-tutorials/Up-Running-Slack/383930-2.html  ( Looking at it right now )
http://www.lynda.com/HTML-tutorials/Creating-HTML5-Banner-Ad-GreenSock-GSAP/373558-2.html
http://www.lynda.com/Pixelmator-tutorials/Up-Running-Pixelmator/175681-2.html
http://www.lynda.com/WordPress-tutorials/WordPress-Essential-Training/372542-2.html
http://www.lynda.com/Git-tutorials/Up-Running-Git-GitHub/409275-2.html
http://www.lynda.com/CSS-tutorials/Design-Web-Responsive-SVG-Images/366454-2.html
http://www.lynda.com/CSS-tutorials/Making-Your-Site-Retina-Ready/374186-2.html

Just saying, if you're only interested in the 'design' and 'print' section yes of course you'll run into Adobe software a lot but that has nothing to do with being sponsored by Adobe. If you're a DTP person good luck switching away from Adobe after years working with InDesign when your job is to create magazines and printed paper every day. If you start college at some creative level, try ask your school if you can use any other software than Adobe and they probably won't let you. You need to get a serious laptop ( Intel i5 Core ) + student license at Adobe to involve. That's where Adobe's focus is at. Those young persons who doesn't know anything yet and can still easily be molded into Adobe fans, after that it's like switching search engines. If you are using Google for 10+ years now, just try to switch to Microsoft Bing search engine for a week or so - it's barely doable because the results you get are totally different - you got used to Google so much you barely can switch anymore.

I'm more interested in web development - everything I design is more about a side project so I never took full advantage out of Photoshop. Switching to Pixelmator was pretty easy for me when I only use Pixelmator to crop some images and make some small changes to images. Getting Affinity Photo now is a huge upgrade for me over Pixelmator so I'm smiling all the way. I don't 'downgrade' ( with all respect to Affinity Photo ) from Photoshop to Affinity Photo - I upgrade from Pixelmator to Affinity Photo and that's a huge step forward.

I don't think Lynda.com can teach us software like Gimp, Acorn or iDraw Mac apps when those apps never have been for real with all due respect. Pixelmator isn't in the Lynda.com library because it's software for professionals. It's in there because so many people use it and it has proven to be a solid image editor at the Mac for most people on a daily base. Affinity software will also be in the library at some point, it just takes some time to mature and spread around. Don't forget the software is still relative new and the adoption is already great I believe. Even Lynda.com can't ignore that fact and have to act on it else some other site will act on it.

Hardware

SOMEHOW I AM NOT CONVINCED THAT ADOBE AND LYNDA WILL GO FOR IT... HOPE I AM WRONG BECAUSE I REALLY THINK THAT AN EXTENSIVE TUTORIAL FOR AP IS ESSENTIAL FOR EVERYONE....  IAM AN ADOBE CC MEMBER AND A LYNDA.COM MEMBER AND VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT AP

I don't think lynda.com will feature this terrific software because, as several have already written, Adobe is front and center at lynda.com

I just attended Photoshop World and mentioned Affinity to several of the teachers who pretended they'd never heard of it.

I believe in Affinity and the more of us who use and promote the software, the bigger the profile will become one day soon.

• 5 months later...

Hardware

Thanks for the link. Well, that's a good start, and Caplin is a well known author/teacher that does a great job on this 3.5 hour intro course.

I will request more advanced AP courses from Lynda.com. I have been using them for over three years and like the service. Now that they are owned by LINKEDIN, maybe the "abobe" stigma will lessen. After all, they are in the biz of teaching what people want to learn -- that's their bottom line.

• MacBook Pro 15 Retina, i7 Quad Core, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB, NVIDIA, macOS 10.13.6, Wacom Cintiq
  • Mac Mini, i5, 16GB, 500GB SSD's (2), macOS 10.11.6
  • Custom PC, MSI ACE Motherboard, Intel 4.1GHz, 64GB, NVIDIA, PCIe M.2 NVME SSD's (3), XP-PEN Artist 22E Tablet Monitor

"Now that they are owned by LINKEDIN, maybe the "adobe" stigma will lessen. After all, they are in the biz of teaching what people want to learn -- that's their bottom line."

Glad to see that they have the Affinity tutorials here/upcoming. I do, however, think it may have helped that LinkedIn now owns Lynda.com and that money coming from Adobe is no longer their first concern. LinkedIn, to my experience, is a forward thinking company and probably were looking at the software packages that people are talking about now...which would bring us to Affinity.

Thanks for the tips about the tutorials.

Hope the tutorials for Designer are around the corner.

Maybe this has something to do with Lynda diving into it too.

Bestsellers:

post-14034-0-05374000-1454755660_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I just signed up for Lynda.com today and started with "Affinity Photos Essential Training". I have been viewing it on my iPad all afternoon and am finding it very good. They are definitely geared to the beginner but it seems that it is what has been requested by many AP beginners. The instructor speaks slowly and you can easily follow what he is doing even on my ipad. A little over 3 hours long. Looking forward to see if they add additional AP training.

• 2 weeks later...

My local library has a subscription to Lynda and I can and do watch many Lynda tutorials for free through my not so free taxes that support the library.  I recently watched the current 8 hour intro course for Illustrator CC freshly updated for 2015.  The total number of like minded souls at present is 1.4 million views.  Similar results can be found for other Adobe products simply because there are so many people seeking training for these products. Has Serif reached a million sales yet? Demand drives the priority for commercial companies to create expensive training videos using their own permanent staff.

Yet Lynda does have courses for Inkscape, Blender, GIMP, and other less popular software including Affinity Photo. Many of the courses are produced by regular folks who were putting up Youtube videos on their own and became popular.  I don't believe that Lynda is hostile but needs to see some level of demand. Much more important is finding someone with the expertise in the new product who is willing to produce the training content.

I am myself a new customer having purchased Designer in December and Photo just this week. I purchased Photo after watching the Lynda tutorial. The training video drove the sale. How's that for course feedback?

I look forward to seeing a similar training video on Lynda for Affinity Designer when someone with the time and expertise is willing and able to produce the content. 

• Staff

Hi kcmizzou,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Have you checked the In house video tutorials already? Affinity Photo video tutorials are here and Designer here. You can also access them trough our website and Vimeo Channel if you prefer.

Also check Affinity Review (eZine) for a few more.