You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

Probably a really obvious error on my part but the colours shown in Designer are not coming out the same when exported to PDF.

I realise my system is not calibrated but I can't understand why there is a difference when viewing the working document and the exported document on the same screen?

See attached which is a screen grab of the open PDF sitting in front of Designer's workspace.

Any help appreciated.

odd colour.JPG

@StewDay Which PDF export are you using and is it possible to upload the afdesign file here?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@StewDay, your attached afdesign format file uses the RGB/16 color format, but every item in it is colored with 0% saturation, effectively making it a colorless, greyscale document, unlike the screenshot in your first post.

Are you sure you attached the correct afdesign file?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

@StewDay, your attached afdesign format file uses the RGB/16 color format, but every item in it is colored with 0% saturation, effectively making it a colorless, greyscale document, unlike the screenshot in your first post.

Are you sure you attached the correct afdesign file?

100%. Only 1 file with that name and I just opened it again (directly from Widows Explorer) to check. Looks exactly the same in Designer as what I posted earlier. Wasn't my intention to go with 0% saturation but I was just playing with an outline rather than worrying about the colours.

The bizarre thing is that the preview pane in Windows Explorer shows it desaturated too (see attached)!

Enough for tonight. Bedtime here in Aus.

Thanks for the replies.

compare2.JPG

I colour sampled the first image and exported for print and ended up with this: cloudCOLOUR-TEST.pdf I made some global colours so that the colours could be changed en masse for objects that were the same colour.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-26-at-14-38-14.png

cloudCOLOUR-TEST - global colours.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@firstdefence ... right, so your PDF at least looks like what I'm seeing in Designer.

But as @R C-R pointed out I'm actually working with a colours with 0% saturation (don't ask me how I did this - newbie mistake with the colour wheel I imagine) so shouldn't it be grey?

Had one more play following @R C-R's post and went back and changed some of my 0% saturated colours to some very saturated (and garish) colours (see attached).

I would say the fuchsia and purple/blue is acceptably similar between the two. The white is definitely not white though!

Enough for tonight. Will check in tomorrow.

Thanks again all.

a_Yuck.JPG

Your afdesign file is white and grey when I open it.

If you install the Affinity Designer 1.7 Beta alongside your current version (the latest beta can be downloaded from the pinned topic HERE), does the afdesign file display correctly (white and grey) in the beta version?

If not, if you open a new blank document in your non-beta version, is the document background pure white, or does it have a yellow colour cast as well? If it has a yellow colour cast, then see my post in the below thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/54099-white-isnt-white/&tab=comments#comment-274665

Just as a matter of note what should the respective colours be?

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Just as a matter of note what should the respective colours be?

No idea O.o 9_9

Pretty much a newb to Designer and was just trying to mock up a quick design. More interested in the structure than the colours at that stage. So grabbed the tool/s made some shapes and went "yeah, that'll do". Then created a PDF to send via email to get some feedback and went "huh?"

Got ya, Try using the RGB colour option in the Colour Panel instead of HSL, Make sure Opacity is set to 100% for any colours you select, and then colour to your hearts content.
Screen-Shot-2019-05-27-at-07-19-13.png

A few links from the help files on colour
https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Clr/ClrModels.html

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Clr/selectingClr.html

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Clr/samplingClr.html

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Clr/clrChords.html

Ok, so I started by resetting Windows Colour Management to sRGB as per @- S -'s linked post.

Opened Designer and created a new document. The colour profile was set for ROMM RGB!!??

Checked Designer prefs and the RGB Colour Profile is set for sRGB. Closed that doc and started fresh again resetting the colour profile to sRGB in the new doc dialogue.

Then I took @firstdefence's advice and used the RGB sliders at 0,0,0 to draw a lovely black box, added a new layer, set the sliders to 256,256,256 and did a little scribble.

Now that is black & white!

Re-opened my org chart thingy and now it looks the same in Designer as in the exported PDF.

Just for giggles I went back to my scribble, changed to the HSL wheel, dialled in a red and then upped the luminosity to 100. Looks the same as my 256 RGB.

So it appears the issue was Windows Colour Management all along. I vaguely remember trying a profile from somewhere off the web for my cheap-ass Acer but I thought I'd reset that ... obviously not!

All seems to be good now. Thank you all for your efforts in helping me track this down.

scribble.JPG

better.JPG