You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

fonts don't import into Adobe Acrobat DC

I tried to open my affinity pdf in Adobe Acrobat DC and the fonts all were changed. The fonts do exist in Adobe, it just changed them to something else. I tried everything on the phone with their help and they concluded it can't be helped because the pdf was originated in another software.

I thought that fonts were embedded by default in Affinity. Why wouldn't this work?

5 minutes ago, pdh said:

I thought that fonts were embedded by default in Affinity.

They should be, unless they’re protected. What were the original fonts? What are the substitutions?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I might take a look when I’m back on my Windows system later today, but since I don’t use Adobe Acrobat DC it would probably be better if another user could try to help.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I do not use acrobat either. I just tried it with the Reader DC and I have no issues with those fonts.

Which pdf export do you use?

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

I used Flatten for the pdf export.

I did not do anything to embed the fonts before exporting. I thought they were embedded by default.

what I meant by available is that Adobe will substitute fonts if it doesn't have them in its program. That shouldn't be the case with this though.

thanks all for the help

Just now, pdh said:

MikeW - thanks for the help but this file is too large to upload

You could just produce a one-page pdf that uses said font as well. Or, if you have the ability, just extract a single page.

As regard the font itself, if it isn't embedding, it may be really set to Restricted internally (which can happen if the flag internally is invalid or missing) despite what is reported. This is one reason why it would be good to see the font. My version embeds fine.

But it's your choice.

1 minute ago, pdh said:

How do I check on whether a font is set to Restricted or not?

By viewing its properties. In Windows, select the font, right-click on it and choose properties, then choose the Details tab. Halfway down the listed properties there is a filed named Font embedability.

But Windows can lie to you. It's best to simply open the file in a an application like DTL's OTFMaster or a font editor. I can do those things for you.

Mike W - sorry for the delay. I'm having a little trouble sending you a pdf page because Affinity Publisher will not let me export as a pdf from that document. (It will from other shorter documents).

I'll give it some more thought and see if I can't figure something out.

You just need to try out the fonts in a new document and see if it works or not.
If it does, the problem is in the file, which serif is already checking.
If the fonts still don't work, try another pdf export istead of flatten.

Also in the pdf export settings click on 'more' and scroll down. There you can embed your fonts.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

On 5/27/2019 at 1:30 AM, MikeW said:

By viewing its properties. In Windows, select the font, right-click on it and choose properties, then choose the Details tab. Halfway down the listed properties there is a filed named Font embedability.

At least in the Mac version, Publisher seems to ignore any embedability settings stored in an OpenType font:

So I would rather believe that your font embedding problems are due to a wrong setting in the export preferences. :/

Thanks all for the help.

Ivbera - I'll give that a try with a new document. Unfortunately, I am unable to export at all in the current document. It will sometimes crash just by choosing export at all. Other times it will let me make a choice and then crash. Also, the document takes forever to load and sometimes it still doesn't load completely, some pages only partially load.

If the problem is in the file, what can I do about it? Is it possible to duplicate it or copy and paste it into a new document? Perhaps serif will be able to figure it out.

It is difficult to troubleshoot your document without knowing anything about it, pdh. Maybe you could share at least a screen shot of your document structure. Are you working with very large images?

To be honest, I can’t imagine that it should be a font problem. Palatino, Open Sans, and Calibri are run-of-the mill, bread-and-butter typefaces that come with no embedding restrictions by default. So either your font files are corrupted (which could be the case), or the problem lies elsewhere. In order to troubleshoot your document, you could copy your document contents, one after another, to a new document, and attempt an export after each step. This way, you could possibly determine the critical piece of content. :)

I've been trying to copy the documents contents and past into a new document like you suggest, but it takes forever. The software is very slow and unstable with this document. There's no way I will get through the 365 pages.

Yes, I am working with large images, on some pages, often full page size.

If the font files are corrupted, how do I fix them?

Though it is slow, I can get the document to load and then work with it. I just can't export. It'll usually crash just by choosing export. 

It is much slower now than it was 2 builds ago. Attached are a couple sample screenshots.

Thanks for the help.

1 screenshot.JPG

2 screenshot.JPG

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.