You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

reaching iPad limits?

I'm not sure if this question is answerable, but I'm trying to get a sense of when I'm reaching the memory/complexity limits of editing an AP file on my ipad. I have a 2nd gen 12.9" model with 64gb drive(only 17gb available)/4gb ram. I'm working on a 422mb file that is 5000x5000 8 bit resolution and at least 100 layers. I just started having troubles with the program crashing and I'm not sure if it's a bug that I can address or I'm just reaching the limits of what I can do on this system. So my main question is: Is there an idea of how much ram or disk space I should have available to work on a file of a certain size? I have to do more troubleshooting, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas around this.

Associated with this question is how much overhead does it take to use certain features in AP? For instance:
    - Does grouping small layers of bitmaps add to the file size/computational complexity much? Or should I just rasterize/flatten into larger bitmaps more often?
    - Using certain adjustments versus rasterizing those into the pixel layers? I know that using live filters takes more overhead.
    - Does the number of files loaded onto the home menu influence the editing of a single open file? I noticed that they open pretty quickly from the home screen versus opening the file directly from another location. So, I'm assuming that anything on the home screen is also loaded into memory to some degree.

I'm not going to be able to upgrade for a while, so need to make the best optimal use of what I have.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Rpaul,

Besides the minimum requirements I'm not sure exactly what you would need hardware wise to work with specific files like your example. The grouping of small layers of bitmaps will add to the file size I'm not sure exactly how much it will add but it will make the file bigger than it would have been if they were flatted into one bitmap. You can rasterise your adjustments but it will mean you can't adjust the values of them anymore. I'm not sure with the last one hopefully a developer can drop by with an answer for you.

In regards to the apps performance if possible could you provide the file via something like DropBox so I can try it at my end and see if I get the same behaviour?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you Callum. I will see if I can find something reproducible. I did realize finally that I wasn't clearing the history which makes a BIG difference in file size. It would be good to have a better understanding of how some of the actions, which may be simple to use, have an impact on computer resources. I guess a lot of them are standard algorithms which I can research somewhere. Not sure how much I care yet. I just see that the more sophisticated I get with CG, the more my file sizes balloon and computer bogs down. So, I would think some understanding of this would help me parse my workflow.