You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have no problem printing o edge in Apple Pages on my Epson 900 by choosing 'page setup' - A4 borderless, then choosing borderless in the print dialogue box.

Don't have these options in Affinity designer. Tried all sorts including increasing page size by 3mm all round. (3mm coz that is the white border that I continually get when printing)

Amazingly cannot find this question being asked (in many forms) - makes me feel stupid!

AD itself has a common document setup, for printing it reuses the printer drivers settings. Thus you have to setup borderless printing via the printing dialog, which should look for an Epson printer somehow similar to this here ,,,

screenshot.jpg.a50bedacb104e599de854efb035e606d.jpg

The document will usually be printed on a printer due to the settings made there and is also printer driver related.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

My options are quite different. And as far as I can tell all options have been tried - and that is the print dialogue box alone - no other adjustments made within AD document setup. Even the image doesn't show a border! - but unfortunately I keep getting a 3mm border on every printout. There are 2 places within the print dialogue box where borderless can be chosen as can be seen in the image.871701519_Screenshot2019-05-2520_41_48.thumb.png.ae4f676eb407649baf7e3ab7325f8ddf.png

Screenshot 2019-05-25 20.42.19.png

Screenshot 2019-05-25 20.42.19.png

Yes your options are more modern printer driver OS X related, what I showed above was copied out from an Epson manual, since I personally have Canon printers here, which have slightly different printer panel layouts.

However, when one sets up a document in a AD for A4 printing, the doc panels below always also fills in some nonselected margins as default. I assume that you didn't altered and enabled any settings here?

doc_settings.jpg.015d5e6ebf4823afc5cf9200bab0cee4.jpgdoc_settings2.jpg.8fd9feb0334d275b69b6be9b63a5fd50.jpg

Further it's possible that there are these 3mm printer page margins due to an enabled "Scale to fit" option, you should give it a try if it makes a difference when that is disabled. Other than that you can also try to export as PDF (choose File->Export and select PDF) and print that, in order to see if it makes a difference. Since this way via plain PDF it usually knows nothing about a printers possible unprintable paper region.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Yes have also tried adjustments to these settings to no avail. I am really surprised that there is little on this subject in the forum. Being able to print such quality in short runs on inkjet printers has so many applications where the main printing 'universe' cannot compete. However being able to print to edge is such a basic option to be able to choose from. Thanks for your responses and efforts anyhow. Will have to dig deeper I suspect.

See also this thread ...

... check that the borderless option has been enabled on your printer and then in the print dialogue window change the fit Type option from Scale to Fit to Printable

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think printing in Designer is generally not very good.

I've seen a few threads with people having issues, normally the answers are "Designer uses the OS system so it's the driver/It's the printer/It's user error".

Designer's print dialouge is buggy (it often takes multiple attempts to get something to actually be printed, changing page size often doesn't update on the preview, cmyk print profiles don't work) and not as fully featured as it should be for a pro-level software.

I'd suggest save wasting your paper and ink trying to make Designer work, just export to PDF and print from another application. 

(That might all seem a bit harsh, so I will add that I am very happy with Designer in general and certainly have no regrets switching to it :) )

2 hours ago, BofG said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think printing in Designer is generally not very good.

I've seen a few threads with people having issues, normally the answers are "Designer uses the OS system so it's the driver/It's the printer/It's user error".

Designer's print dialouge is buggy (it often takes multiple attempts to get something to actually be printed, changing page size often doesn't update on the preview, cmyk print profiles don't work) and not as fully featured as it should be for a pro-level software.

I'd suggest save wasting your paper and ink trying to make Designer work, just export to PDF and print from another application. 

(That might all seem a bit harsh, so I will add that I am very happy with Designer in general and certainly have no regrets switching to it :) )

Having good feedback will ultimately make Affinity apps better so any constructive feedback is always welcome, Opinions can promote debate and improve development so share away.

If you tout something as "Pro" expect pro feedback and pro expectations. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You may not believe this!

First a little background to my own ability just so that you will see this in its true context. Been a Mac user for 30 years plus.So wrestling with the Mac OS and Mac Apps is not new to me - although I should add that being a Mac user (but Windows also in parallel at times) Mac problems are rare in comparison. Worked on the fringe of Graphics over all the years although encouraged my son who is over 40 now to go into graphic design in which he holds a senior post now.

Restarted my Mac.... Yes that familiar fall back of old when all else fails but not usually in this sort of situation! Yes, really and yes with the same settings in AD I got a print to edge!

At first I suspected an update to the Epson driver (which happens in the background) as I have to refuse the most recent Epson firmware update as it will render my printers useless with the current ink that I use - yes guys in case you didn't know that all printer manufacturers are apparently resorting to these tactics to try and stop use of alternative ink cartridges supplies.

Anyhow thanks for your time guys - just trying to repay with this information - would welcome any further comments you may have. Best Geoff

• 1 year later...