You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

crashes when trying to export to pdf

After the latest update, publisher still crashes when I try to export to a pdf.

Also in the pages column, the pages appear with the top left corner blanked out, though the pages themselves in the main screen appear correctly.

No one else, really?

I discovered that it works ok on a small 1 page file, but on my larger 365 page file with photos and text, it crashed when I try to export. This happens on both my computers. On my laptop now, though, it won't even completely open, very slow. It was working fine on the previous build.

2 hours ago, pdh said:

No one else, really?

No.

I can export single pages, but trying to export multiple pages (up to 10) takes either long or the loading bar does not progress.

what version do you use? I hav this problem since .337

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

The inability to export started the build before last, don't know the number. So I didn't update my laptop so I could keep using the previous build that worked. Now, that build expired apparently and I was forced to upgrade to 337. Now, neither will export and I can't even get it to fully open, some pages don't finish. Tried switching to Adobe Acrobat DC but the fonts are changed when I open it.

1 hour ago, pdh said:

The inability to export started the build before last, don't know the number

Now it is version 337 so builds before were 330 and 226 which were both either replaced or withdrawn, because some resource handling.
You could check, your resource manager, if everything is ok.

Also what do you mean with cant get it fully open and pages dont finish?

1 hour ago, pdh said:

Tried switching to Adobe Acrobat DC but the fonts are changed when I open it.

I think this does belong in your other topic...

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

I have just imported a 10-page PDF document with multiple images into v. 337, made some editing changes, and then exported it to PDF (to print) perfectly.   iMAC, Sierra.

I have also imported a one-page document with a large image, and exported it as a PDF (for export).    Worked perfectly.

Don't have a handy 350 page document, but I would think it would also work, although it would naturally take some time.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

jmwellborn - yeah I don't understand why it won't work. It does the same thing on both computers. It is a large and complicated document, but nevertheless..It did work  with a smaller 1 page document. I'll experiment with some mid sized ones.

ivbera  - it is really slow to load my large document and sometimes it will not completely load it. Some of the pages in the left column don't appear or appear only partially. This doesn't happen every time, but usually, since the update. 

I installed a previous build (312) and when I tried to export to a pdf it crashed again. So perhaps it is not the new build. If that's true, is it possible that I have done something to the document itself to cause it to crash when exporting to a pdf? I am using the flatten option, but it crashes with all options. Any suggestions would be welcome.

More info - It does seem to export fine with smaller documents. I'm trying to export a 365 page document with many photos and then it crashes. I'm not sure exactly what the size limit is.

updated - 

yes it does export just fine with a smaller less complicated document of 262 pages, so it must be something about the document I am exporting. Is there some way to figure out what might be preventing it from exporting to a pdf?

Thanks for taking a look. I sent 2 files to the other thread you mentioned.

Will I need to wait for the next build update, or will you let me know if there is something specific about my file? 

In the meantime, is there anything I can try to get it to export to a pdf?

• Staff

The crash has been logged and is with the developers now, unfortunately I can't say if it will be fixed in the next build or not.

I'll update you if there is any workaround or information and a way to prevent the crash happening.

I've not had chance to try it yet, but you could try printing to a postscript PDF printer.

Thanks for sending the file

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I decided to try taking the file and software over to a Mac and trying to export it to a pdf. At first it seemed like it would work. It started the export, but at the very end it failed and gave me an error along the lines of this file could not be created.

After this latest build 376, the export to pdf function is working. Thanks for that. However, now the software doesn't completely load the file. Some pages remain blank or partially loaded. The software is so sluggish it is impossible to work on. So when I do export to a pdf, those pages are blank or missing information.

Any suggestions on how I can get the file to completely load? It used to load just fine a few builds ago. I have restarted, cleanup up the computer, etc. Still no luck.

This is happening mostly to images, though not all images. It is also happening on two different computers.

I had similar problems a few beta versions ago, all resources had to be linked again with version .326. I suggested checking your resources in the 5th post of this topic. Did you check?

EDIT - I saw you created another topic,where you are being helped.  so ignore this.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Yes. I checked and have many missing resources. I'm going through them one by one though this is very slow going because the software is hanging up so much and I have hundreds. A lot of work. I hope it solves the problem

• I still managed to encounter a problem today in the Publisher.
  • I eventually tracked it down to 4 '0' sized image.tif on a page which came in with copying a table from Excel.
  • This thread gave me the clue to look at resources and that is where I saw them and then had to work out how to copy a formatted table without them appearing.
  • This turned out to be the difference between 'Advanced Metafile' Pasting which crashes, and 'Metafile' Pasting which did not.
  • Hope that save someone else the time and gives clues to the coders as to how to avoid it. :7_sweat_smile:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.