You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow drawing in Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.12

Hi.

Drawing in pixel persona in Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.12 is so sluggish and slow, that it is impossible to draw something!

On release version everything is ok.

MacBook Air 2017, Mac OS Mojave 10.4.4

• Staff

Hi linosia,

Would you be able to try going to 'Preferences' and seeing if you have an option in the 'Performance' section that allows you to enable Metal compute acceleration? If so, could you make sure it is turned off? Would you be able to see if that makes things better after a restart? Thanks!!!

Matt

Hi, guys!

Sorry for the late reply (because of study).

I forgot to mention that I was trying to open v1.6.7 document in 1.7 beta.

And yes, MattP, -- unchecking "Enable Metal compute acceleration" indeed help solving this problem! (but I don't understand why -- doesn't "Metal API" was created to improve performance, not making it worse?)

I will attach video(at the beginning it clearly shows the pixel drawing lag)

So, which setting you recommend for my MacBook Air 2017? OpenGL? Metal?

By the way, is it fine that if you draw a loooong vector line, it also become sluggish a bit? (although not as much as in the video)

Edited by linosia

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know! :)

Metal compute will help in certain scenarios and with certain machines more than others... your MacBook Air unfortunately doesn't have the strongest on-board Intel GPU and there's no dedicated GPU, so actually trying to make things faster by pushing them onto the GPU turned out slower than just running them on the CPU. This isn't necessarily a failing of Metal, just that the interaction between CPU and the bits we perform on the GPU isn't going well on your particular machine. Leave the setting turned off and in the future maybe try enabling it again if we release an update that implements more Metal features or if you change to a different machine? :)

Thanks again,

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.