You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer doesn't open Illustrator file beyond the printable area

My Illustrator files are very simple. I'd often have "sketches" beyond the printable area and just use it as a workspace. When I open an Illustrator file within Affinity Designer it only seems to import the immediate printable area and chops off everything else. 

How do I see my work beyond the printable area? In Illustrator it would be a gray area, but in Affinity it doesn't seem to exist at all.

It's probably there, take a look into the layers panel contents and also see the following enhancement view toggle on/off setting ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I'm sure I read a post recently about this and a script to expand the artboard to encompass all the objects outside the artboard.

Importing an ai file will cut outside the artboard, any object that sits over the artboard edge will see its fill trimmed to the artboard but not its stroke.

Groups suffer the same fate as the orange rectangle, I placed all three rectangles into a group but the same fate was met, on a more cheery note, text overhanging the edge of the artboard remains intact and imports as text.

Shown in Adobe Illustrator 
Screen-Shot-2019-05-26-at-07-36-54.png

Opened in Affinity Designer 
Screen-Shot-2019-05-26-at-07-32-30.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Affinity software opens the PDF stream, not the native AI stream in the AI file. The PDF doesn't include objects on the artboard (AFAIK) so this cannot easily be improved.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, mattosx said:

FirstDefence, this is exactly the issue I have. I'm running a very old version of Illustrator and can't upgrade my OS X to anything recent, but the time is now coming. I will just have to expand all the art boards fully before I upgrade OS X.

Yes that's pretty much the solution, I'm sure @MikeW alluded to a script to encompass all the artwork with the Artboard.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Affinity software opens the PDF stream, not the native AI stream in the AI file. The PDF doesn't include objects on the artboard (AFAIK) so this cannot easily be improved.

That is true.

11 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Yes that's pretty much the solution, I'm sure @MEB alluded to a script to encompass all the artwork with the Artboard.

I think that was me. And I think I uploaded it. Or, maybe I just dreamt it...

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

That is true.

I think that was me. And I think I uploaded it. Or, maybe I just dreamt it...

Sorry @MikeW at least you spotted it, thanks for the script. icons8-facebook_like.png.c2a0724bbb5c85c0133bcc8428657915.png I'll change the ref in the earlier post to you hehehe!