You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Slices with Bleed 1.7 RC1

Will this be sorted out in the release version?

At the moment this is still a problem (as far as I can tell).

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• Staff

Bleed is (as far as I understand) a print property.  Slices were never really intended for print - generally for web export, icons, etc.  Yes, we offer PDF and SVG formats for slices, but for completeness.

Is there a reason you are trying to use slices instead of artboards?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi Ben,

I have misused the export persona for print output too -- my usual use case is, that i have a customers business assets all in one file, on different artboards.

The export persona is PERFECT for assigning (and preserving!!!) different export settings to each artboard (e.g. PDF with printers marks for the letterheads, PDF with bleed but no marks for the business cards, PNG with different colour space for the web banner, high-res TIF export for the advertisement ...) and simply exporting the items needed by selecting them and clicking ,export', rather than manually setting different export settings every time the customer asks for a single item.

• Staff

ok.

Problem is that the bleed value is currently a property of the document or artboard - it is not a property of the export format settings (though the option to use bleed is for PDF export).  Slices also have no concept of a bleed size, and so we get into the question of where the bleed size comes from.  I can see that ultimately people might want a per-export format option - but that is superfluous to the majority of use cases, so we'd have to think very carefully about how it would work. 

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

6 hours ago, Ben said:

Is there a reason you are trying to use slices instead of artboards?

I don't see a way to export slices together as one PDF. If I have 3 artboards like Back-Spine-Front (book cover) how can I export these together as one PDF with all the printer marks and bleeds.

Slices allow me to do that except for the bleeds. 

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

Thanks for the reply, Ben.

For my own needs, I use two methods to get what I need:

- for online printers, I simply increase the size of the slice by the bleed value, as online printers mostly don't want marks anyway, just the "format + bleed"

- for the printers next door, I draw my crop marks manually (top layer, registration colour) and adjust the size of my slices to include both bleed and marks

It's a pefectly fine workflow for me, and in my opinion, the easiest solution for everyone who regularly needs this, would be a macro that increases the slice size by a user defined value and optionally adds crop marks in the registration colour on a new top layer for all selected slices -- maybe someone here in the forum can cook that up (I don't know if the macro engine is mighty enough at the moment)?

6 hours ago, Ben said:

Bleed is (as far as I understand) a print property.  Slices were never really intended for print - generally for web export, icons, etc.  Yes, we offer PDF and SVG formats for slices, but for completeness.

Since it's in the Export Persona, I thought that all of the Export capabilities would be there.

Best regards!

• Staff
20 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I don't see a way to export slices together as one PDF. If I have 3 artboards like Back-Spine-Front (book cover) how can I export these together as one PDF with all the printer marks and bleeds.

Slices allow me to do that except for the bleeds. 

Artboards would be the way to go.

I just did it in 1.7 RC.  Make three artboards for front, spine and back. Set bleed.  Export as PDF, area = Whole Document.  Chose the PDF settings to include printer marks.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

Artboards would be the way to go.

I agree. However, as I said before I don't see a way of doing it at the moment.

• Staff

There is - get the 1.7 RC and use that...

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

There is - get the 1.7 RC and use that...

Either I don't understand you or you me.

I don't want 3 separate things in the exported PDF for Front Spine and back.

I would like a PDF with the whole area that exports as one thing.

That's not possible at the moment.

Slices did that except for bleed.

PS: I'm not hell bent on having it. I am just trying to explain the difference between slices and artboards in this respect and that slices go 99% of the way to achieving that.

See attached drawing, this is how I would set it up (version 1.6.x).
For a book case you could probably even work with just one big artboard and use three ,containers' for the front, spine and back.
Size of the spine and position of the front and back stay flexible, if you set it up properly.

screenshot.jpg

• Staff

Err.  That's just a standard document with bleed.  You still don't need slices, and I wouldn't even use artboards for this.  Just create a document, with bleed.  Export it, with bleed.  I'd just create it to size, and use guides to mark the spine edges.  You could already do that in 1.6 (albeit without visible bleed on the preview).

That's pretty much standard for every print template I've ever had to use from all the big printing companies in the UK.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

1 minute ago, Jens Krebs said:

See attached drawing, this is how I would set it up.

Like I said earlier this is not a major problem. That how I set it up as well.

But this is a work around for not being able to get bleeds as you would when exporting a single artboard. 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

I'd just create it to size, and use guides to mark the spine edges.

:)

• Staff
12 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Either I don't understand you or you me.

I don't want 3 separate things in the exported PDF for Front Spine and back.

I would like a PDF with the whole area that exports as one thing.

That's not possible at the moment.

Slices did that except for bleed.

PS: I'm not hell bent on having it. I am just trying to explain the difference between slices and artboards in this respect and that slices go 99% of the way to achieving that.

How did slices give you that?  If you had three slices, they'd export as three separate files.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

You still don't need slices,

That's what I'm saying in my second paragraph ... you are absolutely right, Ben, if I set it up as one single document (with or without an artboard, doesn't matter), it's just a simple full-page export. Just wanted to show Seneca a way to achieve what he/she wants.

• Staff
Just now, Seneca said:

Like I said earlier this is not a major problem. That how I set it up as well.

But this is a work around for not being able to get bleeds as you would when exporting a single artboard. 

:)

I don't get you.  This is a thread about 1.7 RC right?  All this works fine.  You can create a document, or a document with multiples artboards.  They can all have bleed, which you can now preview, and you can export with bleed.  I'm not sure exactly how you were using slices to achieve this?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

How did slices give you that?  If you had three slices, they'd export as three separate files.

4 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Seneca, you can use the export persona to create slices that span more than one artboard.

That's exactly what I mean.

Let's leave it at that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.