You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DATA LOSS in 1.7.0.128

In the process of attempting to repro this: 

I discovered another scenario of the data loss I originally reported in this: 

Now, this time there's no crash but there IS still a (?) scenario where if startup is somehow short-circuited, the recovery/open file list appears to be lost.  I had 6 files open in the process of trying to quit soon enough to repro the crash and in one of the attempts, I managed to quit before any files were opened (visually) and the next time I opened the Photo beta app, it was as if there were no open files.

The files in question were in various states of completion (this is just a state description, not a "I'm using beta for production, how could you!?!") so there was actual data loss, not just the file list (which would be bad enough on its own).

The steps I was trying (timing varied slightly through the attempts):

1. Make sure you have a "previous state" setup of open files (I have had a mix of afphoto and RAW reopens)
  2. Launch Photo beta (128)
  3. Attempt to quit at the various opportunities -- the ones I noticed:
    1. Before any window is open
    2. Once the main window is open but before the splash screen or any content tabs display
    3. After the splash but before content
    4. (normally) once content and splash both are displayed
  4. Relaunch Photo beta -- if you've triggered the situation, you'll see a blank slate instead of the expected reopened files.

I wasn't able to determine which of these scenarios cleared the recovery/state improperly.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Could you try this in the Release Candidate?

.134 (RC2) is out now (at about the same time you were posting, Chris :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@Chris B I've been away and still catching up on life. As soon as I can take the time, I'll re-check with whatever version seems to be current at the time (GM1?!?)

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

On 5/31/2019 at 10:09 AM, Andy Somerfield said:

I have some confidence that this got fixed in either RC2 or GM - if not, please let us know.

Thanks,

Andy.

Will definitely let you know. Thanks for chiming in, @Andy Somerfield

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.