Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The tutorial says that a placed image is brought into AP as a Vector Layer.  That confuses me because images are usually JPEG type and JPEG are raster images  Please explain. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Engine44 said:

The tutorial says that a placed image is brought into AP as a Vector Layer.  That confuses me because images are usually JPEG type and JPEG are raster images  Please explain. Thanks.

Unlike other older software packages which rasterise immediately, images are kept at full resolution no matter how small or large you scale them until you perform an operation that requires them to be rasterised to underlying pixel resolution. So until you do that, you image is effectively  scalable like a vector layer..


Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MAC Mojave 10.4 Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 12.4 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Unlike other older software packages which rasterise immediately, images are kept at full resolution no matter how small or large you scale them until you perform an operation that requires them to be rasterised to underlying pixel resolution. So until you do that, you image is effectively  scalable like a vector layer..

So that means you can work on them as if they were a pixel layer?  And when you work on them they become rasterised?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Engine44 said:

So that means you can work on them as if they were a pixel layer?  And when you work on them they become rasterised?  Thanks.

You can apply adjustments to an image layer and adjust its dimensions without losing its original resolution, only when you make destructive edits will it be rasterised to a pixel layer. Notice how the embedded photo remains a full resolution a image layer for adjustments but is automatically converted to a pixel layer when an operation requires it.


Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MAC Mojave 10.4 Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 12.4 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

You can apply adjustments to an image layer and adjust its dimensions without losing its original resolution, only when you make destructive edits will it be rasterised to a pixel layer. Notice how the embedded photo remains a full resolution a image layer for adjustments but is automatically converted to a pixel layer when an operation requires it.

 

I was thinking about this last night and would like to clear up something.  In your video you show how the image can be enlarged without losing clarity.  That is before a destructive edit.  But in my original example, the typical JPEG image is already rasterised when it is placed.  If you enlarge it enough, it will become pixelated.  This is before any edits.  Please explain.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Engine44 said:

I was thinking about this last night and would like to clear up something.  In your video you show how the image can be enlarged without losing clarity.  That is before a destructive edit.  But in my original example, the typical JPEG image is already rasterised when it is placed.  If you enlarge it enough, it will become pixelated.  This is before any edits.  Please explain.  Thanks.

In this example I have placed a high resolution jpeg onto a small 4”x5” document.

As I zoom in you can see the pixelation as it is mapped onto the underlying document pixel dimensions.

Watch as I enlarge way past the size of the document and where the photo was pixelated previously the image is again now clear.

This shows that the embedded image is a vector layer scalable onto underlying document pixel dimensions whilst adjustments are made.

As you stated, only on a destructive edit takes place do you lose that underlying high resolution photo.


Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MAC Mojave 10.4 Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 12.4 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

In this example I have placed a high resolution jpeg onto a small 4”x5” document.

As I zoom in you can see the pixelation as it is mapped onto the underlying document pixel dimensions.

Watch as I enlarge way past the size of the document and where the photo was pixelated previously the image is again now clear.

This shows that the embedded image is a vector layer scalable onto underlying document pixel dimensions whilst adjustments are made.

As you stated, only on a destructive edit takes place do you lose that underlying high resolution photo.

A

 

7 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

In this example I have placed a high resolution jpeg onto a small 4”x5” document.

As I zoom in you can see the pixelation as it is mapped onto the underlying document pixel dimensions.

Watch as I enlarge way past the size of the document and where the photo was pixelated previously the image is again now clear.

This shows that the embedded image is a vector layer scalable onto underlying document pixel dimensions whilst adjustments are made.

As you stated, only on a destructive edit takes place do you lose that underlying high resolution photo.

You seem to be saying that even though you are importing a JPEG raster file, AP creates a vector file from it.  And it remains a vector image until you perform a destructive edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Engine44 said:

A

 

You seem to be saying that even though you are importing a JPEG raster file, AP creates a vector file from it.  And it remains a vector image until you perform a destructive edit.

Perhaps the term vector layer is totally wrong, scalable layer maybe a better description.


Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MAC Mojave 10.4 Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 12.4 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Mudditt said:

Perhaps the term vector layer is totally wrong, scalable layer maybe a better description.

Ok, lol. When you import a JPEG raster image, at what point does it become a scalable image?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Engine44 said:

Ok, lol. When you import a JPEG raster image, at what point does it become a scalable image?

Ok, better description perhaps is scalable raster image which retains it’s original imported resolution until you do a destructive edit or rasterise it to the underlying document resolution. Hope this has helped not created more confusion. Best thing is to experiment with it your self to understand how it works unless a Serif team member wants to step in and elaborate further..


Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on MAC Mojave 10.4 Beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 on iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 12.4 beta, Affinity Photo 1.7 on Windows 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/affinityforipad/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Ok, better description perhaps is scalable raster image which retains it’s original imported resolution until you do a destructive edit or rasterise it to the underlying document resolution. Hope this has helped not created more confusion. Best thing is to experiment with it your self to understand how it works unless a Serif team member wants to step in and elaborate further..

Ok, thanks.  I’ll play with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also worth noting that you are unable to 'select' parts of a 'placed' image until it has been rasterised. The placed layer is an 'image' layer type, not a pixel layer type.


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Also worth noting that you are unable to 'select' parts of a 'placed' image until it has been rasterised. The placed layer is an 'image' layer type, not a pixel layer type.

Thanks.  Is there a setting where images are automatically rasterised upon placing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you need to select the layer and there are several rasterise options in layer studio. Note too if your crop a pixel image  you are really just changing the canvas that displays the image. (Non destructive cropping). At times this is problematic, say you need to change canvas size, then you lose your cropped setting. At times I find it useful to rasterise and trim a pixel layer after cropping (trimming makes it a destructive crop but gives me flexibility to adjust canvas). 


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×