You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[SOLVED] Character Style “Hyperlink” Added Even If Not Present In Document

Another slight oddity. When you create a new document, and remove all text styles, the character style “Hyperlink” is nonetheless still available in the Add Hyperlink popup. I believe the popup should default to “No Style” in such an instance, and the style “Hyperlink” should not be available. Personally, I don’t want styles to be added accidentally to my document. o.O

Just choose [No Style] from the popup instead of Hyperlink. I personally like the fact that I can then search and replace my links using the Find Studio and search for Character Style: Hyperlink as well as using the Hyperlink Studio to find them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

As long as there is a default hyperlink style in the document, I have nothing against this idea. But as soon as I deliberately remove all predefined text styles from a document, I don’t want to be bothered with one of these styles in another place. I will usually know what I am doing … usually … ;)

Watch your video (15 to 16 second mark), you choose Hyperlink for the style of the hyperlink. That is why the style was added to your document. If you had chosen [No Style] then the Hyperlink style would not be added to your document.

56 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

I don’t want to be bothered with one of these styles in another place.

Extra styles drive me up the proverbial wall. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Yes! But that is just what I am complaining about! Why on earth am I presented with the option of selecting this style, when it is not even present in my document? (Remember I removed all default styles.) Where does it come from? Is that a remnant from the past? It is some otherworldly creature? How can this guy just walk straight into my front yard and knock at my door? o.O

Hyperlink-Style.png.ffb8f4c8a5fa7bec33a28518b6c1a85c.png

12 minutes ago, fde101 said:

That style is not among those that exist by default in a new document.  I believe this is intentional: it is created automatically the first time it is used in defining a hyperlink.

I believe that is correct.

I just noticed, though, that the only choices available in the dialog for adding the hyperlink are [No Style], Hyperlink, Emphasis, Strong, and Strong Emphasis. You cannot use your own text style of another name. (At least, I cannot see a way to do so.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I'm seeing my other character styles, both for creating a hyperlink and for editing one.  Note that only character styles are there - not paragraph styles...

Thanks. That's it; I wasn't looking at character styles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Note that only character styles are there - not paragraph styles...

Paragraph styles wouldn't work well for a link in the middle of a paragraph. Character styles on the other hand are just what we want for formatting the text.