You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Fixed] Guide Manager Guides not related to Zeros on Rulers

And what is the bug?

Lefthand corner is 0 for me.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

6 minutes ago, ivbera said:

And what is the bug?

Lefthand corner is 0 for me.

Not a bug, it's by (bad) design.

So what is the "zero" point on the right-hand page of a facing page? What is the same zero point (right--hand page) in any other layout application?

Yeah, i would put a zero on each page, but that was not the point of this topic or do I misunderstand?

The title just said that rulers and guide manager are not related, which they are.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Place some vertical guides on a spread. They are all referenced from the zero point. So, without moving the ruler zero point, one needs to do a little math to obtain precise positions on the right page of the spread. That's how I understand this post.

One can drag the zero point to the middle. But that's a dumb work flow compared to other applications. 

Yes, I know how this works and that this is not ideal.
But with just one sentence of SamSteele just stating a fact and this beeing the bug section I thought that this is bug related, so I thought to reply.

So yes, hopefully there will be changes.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Which is why I wrote in my first reply it isn't a bug.

Serif will either leave the post here, move it to the suggestion section or, more likely, mark it as designed and move it.

With a double page spread, it is common to put the zero in between the LH and the RH pages. Measurements to the Right of the zero/centreline are positive, measurements to the Left of the zero are negative. This how it works in InDesign. 

In Publisher, even if you have moved zero on the ruler to the centreline between the two pages, if you enter a minus number for a vertical guideline—meaning it should appear on the LH page—the centreline will not be on the LH page but will be off on the canvas to the far left of the LH page. Your screen ruler may say the zero is centred between the two page, but in reality it is stuck at the top LH corner of the LH page. The same thing happens to horizontal guidelines: all guidelines are measured from the top LH corner.

Yes, it's not a bug, it's a design flaw.

9 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

even if you have moved zero on the ruler to the centreline between the two pages, if you enter a minus number for a vertical guideline—meaning it should appear on the LH page—the centreline will not be on the LH page but will be off on the canvas to the far left of the LH page. Your screen ruler may say the zero is centred between the two page, but in reality it is stuck at the top LH corner of the LH page

Didn't realize this. I thought the only problem was the right hand page not having a zero point and having to calculate

I think that this could be considered a bug.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.