You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.14 - RC1)

• Staff

This beta has been superseded by the release of 1.7.1.1. Please use the release build instead.

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Here

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the beta of Affinity Designer 1.7 for macOS.

Designer 1.7 is a significant change to the currently shipping 1.6 version. Files edited in this version will not be backwards-compatible with the shipping 1.6 version. We are now very happy with the 1.7 version and are moving to the final stages but would still urge some caution with respect to using this version for critical work as it is still possible we may have missed something that may cause you issues.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

Many thanks,

Matt

Please refer to previous beta 1.7.0.4 post where there's a list of major changes since 1.6. This latest update builds on the 1.7.0.12 changes and also includes the following changes:

• New samples
  • Selected text characters can now be dragged into a new position within a text object
  • Fix for embedded documents and copy/paste issues (sorry)
  • PDF export improvements (image colourspace conversion control)
  • Fix for creating object styles which use multiple line/fill attributes
  • Miscellaneous small fixes

To be notified about all future macOS beta updates, please follow this notification thread
To be notified when this Designer update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Designer on macOS customers, please follow this thread

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Ohhh, I like the sound of "RC1". [anticipatory-smiley-face emoticon]

Just now, Jens Krebs said:

Release Candidate ... the two magic words! Hurray!

I have to wonder how long until Photo is RC given the latest bugs in 127, 128. Version 1.7 has been pretty good to me until those versions.

3 hours ago, pruus said:

The finishline! Good to go to the next step, version 2 with a lot more! Great!

Why version 2, rather than 1.8, for the next step after 1.7?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Release Candidate! The end is near :D

What are those new samples? :$

I'm receiving in Publisher 337 and in this Designer version 14 the message if i want to restore the file when opening the software, but on the last save everything goes fine... but this is not happening all the times...

About this version 14. All the problems that i've reported are solved B| Great Work.

• Staff
1 minute ago, dcarvalho84 said:

I'm receiving in Publisher 337 and in this Designer version 14 the message if i want to restore the file when opening the software, but on the last save everything goes fine... but this is not happening all the times...

Please make a new thread about this bug, we have not got to the cause of it yet

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

8 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Please make a new thread about this bug, we have not got to the cause of it yet

I will as soon as i have a recipe to give you. I need to test some scenarios that can help you find it. That is all i've got now and it is not much... but do you have any similar reports?

20 hours ago, KipV said:

I have to wonder how long until Photo is RC given the latest bugs in 127, 128. Version 1.7 has been pretty good to me until those versions.

With some help I was able to get the white balance and layers bugs resolved in 128. I hope this means the release candidate of Photo will come soon as well!

Hi there is a simple bug on text selection on all Affinity software - Photo, Designer and Publisher.  If you start with the text tool and then select a font you want to use the font selection reverts to Arial. This exists with the Art Text Tool as well as the Frame Text Tool.  The only workaround is to start typing in Arial and then change the text selection - and while this workaround works it really slows down my workflow, and honestly it's really quite annoying. This was not the case in previous betas and also with the MAS versions. Please fix.

I think calling this an RC is premature when colors are still being mishandled.

An indicator of this is the fact that if you pick some color using the Color panel then use the "add...global color" button on a document swatch palette twice you get two global colors, but if you assign some objects to one and some to the other, the same one is always highlighted in the panel no matter which one is actually assigned to the object that you select using the move tool.  That strikes me as careless.

I was successful at editing the second global colour and it then sticks. But as you described I couldn't get an un-edited colour to remain assigned to a separate object. 

8 minutes ago, fde101 said:

... the same one is always highlighted in the panel...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I was successful at editing the second global colour and it then sticks.

Yes, as soon as the underlying color values are different it works - but it should work even when they are the same.  If you edit it back to match the other color I believe you will find that it stops working correctly again.

• Staff
44 minutes ago, predick said:

Is this version coming with new version iPad app?

Yes, before too long the desktop and iPad apps will be out

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Just to remind anyone asking 'how can this be RC1 when 'insert feature here' is still broken?!?' ... well, the reality is that the rest of the product is greatly improved and those specific things were also present in the last version - which was itself a released product - so it's not a blocker... it's admittedly not what we'd hope for, but as I said, the rest of the product it vastly improved and is very stable, so why would we not want to release at this point? It's not like we're now going to all give up or something, and it's also not like there isn't going to be a 1.7.1 version along shortly after release, so all these things will get sorted out along the road. They're a priority and I feel bad they're not right yet, but all things will be sorted in time...

As my father used to say "In order to climb the ladder of success you must have both feet firmly planted on the ground."

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:35 AM, MattP said:

Just to remind anyone asking 'how can this be RC1 when 'insert feature here' is still broken?!?' ... well, the reality is ...

...also that as long as the 1.7 versions remain in beta, we users will have to continue to contend with a total of three pairs of apps (2 Mac, 2 Windows, & 2 iOS) different enough that files created in the betas can't be opened in the retail releases.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I noticed that "preserve selection when creating new curves" is not ON by default anymore. Is there any specific reason for this change? Just a small detail I'm curious about, but anyways think I prefer it as "not by default". Congrats, all looks pretty smooth in the new version!

15 hours ago, R C-R said:

...also that as long as the 1.7 versions remain in beta, we users will have to continue to contend with a total of three pairs of apps (2 Mac, 2 Windows, & 2 iOS) different enough that files created in the betas can't be opened in the retail releases.

@MattP This made me think, in the future, if Serif comes out with another app (DAM) will we also have to wait till they all can talk to each other in order for them to be released? I've always wondered this. Adobe updates as needed, not that I'm a fan, but when will smaller updates be implemented where not all apps need to be under the same release?

• Staff
5 hours ago, IsabelAracama said:

I noticed that "preserve selection when creating new curves" is not ON by default anymore. Is there any specific reason for this change? Just a small detail I'm curious about, but anyways think I prefer it as "not by default". Congrats, all looks pretty smooth in the new version!

It's intentional.  The default behaviour remains unchanged, which means that tutorials don't need to be updated to make mention of turning the option off.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Congratulations for the RC!
I like Designer more than Adobe's Illustrator on many points, the only thing I missed is the tool to grab individual letter and rotate/move it (while still able to type them again later). Is this planned?

2 hours ago, Ben said:

It's intentional.  The default behaviour remains unchanged, which means that tutorials don't need to be updated to make mention of turning the option off.

Ok, so this means is OFF by default, right? And if I need this option, I simply turn it ON. I think I like it better like it is now. Thanks for the reply!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.