You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying a vector Pen-Tool-generated image to PagePlus ends up as a bitmap

Yesterday I sought advice in the following thread in the Share your work section of the forum.

Alas, no replies as yet but I am wondering whether the issue that I asked about has not been noticed because it is in that thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/85230-portrait-of-a-lady/

The full description of the issue is in that thread, but briefly it is that a vector image produced using the Pen Tool In Affinity Publisher ends up as a bitmap image if copied and then pasted into a PagePlus document.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

This sounds to me more like a PP issue than an APub issue, William. If you ‘Paste Special’ in PagePlus, what formats are you offered?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred

Thank you for your reply.

I have just tried it and Paste Special in PagePlus X7 of the picture of the lady copied from the .afpub source file that has the lettering offers me one choice, namely Device Independent Bitmap.

However, I experimented and found that I can export the picture from Affinity Publisher as a .svg file and import it into PagePlus X7 and produce a PDF and the size is small and enlarging the lady's eye to 6400% in Adobe Reader shows the image to be vector.

So, I can get the desired result by another route.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So, I can get the desired result by another route.

That’s good to hear!

Alfred spacer.png

I was just thinking of publishing an svg file of the picture of the lady in the Share your work section of the forum.

If I select all of the picture and get to the export dialogue panel, the estimated file size is smaller than if I select all of the picture and then group and then get to the export dialogue panel.

I am wondering why.

Also, is the choice of with and without background not relevant as the picture is rectangular and filled? For example, is it like having a transparent or filled background when exporting a png? (while noting that svg is vector and png is bitmap)

William

19 minutes ago, William Overington said:

If I select all of the picture and get to the export dialogue panel, the estimated file size is smaller than if I select all of the picture and then group and then get to the export dialogue panel.

I am wondering why.

An SVG file is human-readable text (like HTML). If you export both with and without grouping, you can inspect the results in a text editor to find out what the differences are.

Alfred spacer.png