You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"save history"

On a per document basis it is. If you want it for every document then I would have to say no to this as it balloons the file size. And how could I turn it off for only one document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:10 AM, Old Bruce said:

On a per document basis it is. If you want it for every document then I would have to say no to this as it balloons the file size. And how could I turn it off for only one document.

just like oit is, turning it off till you turn it on again. But I understand your point...

• 1 month later...

I really desire having the option to set "save history" permanently on. When i want to save a .afphoto file, i always need the history. When i do not need the history, i do not need to save the file. AF is everything about non-destructive workflow. I see almost no need for saving only the end product, without all the edits.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Having the option (read: preference) to be automatically on would make some peoples' workflows less error-prone (as some of us really do turn it on for all but the most trivial of efforts).

So... I'll vote (again) for having the choice of turning it on for every file by default and of course, allowing it to be turned off in a case-by-case basis.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

Big no to having Save History as a default. It will result in enormous file sizes. That is very bad.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Big no to having Save History as a default. It will result in enormous file sizes. That is very bad.

Too many people seem to think that the suggestion is to turn it on by default for everyone.

Speaking only for myself (since that's the only person I can speak for), that's not what I'm saying. What I want is a checkbox in preferences that is disabled by app and user default, that says "Save History with Document" that I can turn on (once) and from that point forward, the functionality is enabled for every file I open until I manually turn it off per file or uncheck the preference which would take the behavior back to the currently available functionality.

If anyone in the multiple discussions is arguing that "Save History" needs to be turned on for every user, I haven't seen it. 

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

I am happy for an option in the main preferences for permanently on or off.

I have never saved history with any file, the layers and their settings are all the info I need about what I have done. My files are big enough without adding something that I don’t need. I have a fully none destructive workflow without needing the history.

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

I am happy for an option in the main preferences for permanently on or off.

I have never saved history with any file, the layers and their settings are all the info I need about what I have done. My files are big enough without adding something that I don’t need. I have a fully none destructive workflow without needing the history.

I don't mind having a setting that let users switch the 'save with document' per default to on. But this setting should at least be per default set to off.

For users that want it to always be on they can switch it on, but new users not knowing about it, or advanced users didn't think about it, don't forget to turn it off.

Leaving it on is not only resulting in big file sizes, but just like the Affinity message state: a lot of designers might send the Affinity file to collegues or maybe even an external party, and don't want them to view the whole history to know how everything was build. I would not want them to go all the way back to see how everything was build, because that's not for them to see.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Maybe a "discard saved history" checkbox could be added to the Save As dialog...

That would be an awesome addition too, IMO.