You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertical Alignment of Paragraph as part of Style

I am preparing a book of A6 size where each page has one paragraph of a few lines (5 to 10 lines as in a Quotes book). I want each page's paragraph to be Vertically centered in that page (frame). At present I have to do for each paragraph separately. Is it possible to add this feature to the existing style of a paragraph so that I select a para and click on the style to align the para vertically on the page?

Vertical alignment belongs to the text frame properties. I would set up a text frame with all need formatting and add it to Assets. So you can re-use this object and copy in the new text OR you can set up the text frame on a Master Page and detach / edit it on the pages for different text.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Instead of copying a formatted frame you also could use an object style and assign it to any other frame.
You can create an object style of a selected frame in three ways:

1. right-click in the selected frame –> choose "Create Style"

724755689_verticallycenteredtext-contextmenu.jpg.23a1e2d95aef81ebec6ed67cbef51192.jpg

2. with the frame selected go to "Styles" panel –> from its hamburger pop-up menu choose "Add Style from Selection":

703396407_verticallycenteredtext-stylepanel.jpg.7be5919eb73ab7974bb692e37fcf18a4.jpg

3. Menu "Edit" > choose "Create Style"

580325292_verticallycenteredtext-editmenu.jpg.3d4a7ec1fcb83be72c75044dac7d1f56.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

If you want the paragraphs centered on the page, then you would also need the text frames centered on the page. You might consider a Master Page with a text frame of the appropriate size and position, and defined to have its contents centered vertically. Then you just set it up once, and apply it to the appropriate pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

you would also need the text frames centered on the page.

Not necessarily: since you have only 1 paragraph on each page you simply could use the text frame in page height. That way its content would be centered vertically anyway.

17 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Not necessarily: since you have only 1 paragraph on each page you simply could use the text frame in page height. That way its content would be centered vertically anyway.

If the frame matches the page height then (in height) it is centered on the page :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If the frame matches the page height then (in height) it is centered on the page :)

Yes, that's what I mean. In page height there is no need to take care of it beeing centered ;)