You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing brushes in the Affinity Photo Trial

Hi!

Im currently using the trial version of Affinity Photo in Windows to test out its features and rebuild some of my older Photoshop projects in order to find out, how my workflow has to be adjusted. Things are looking pretty good so far, with one exception: brushes.

The trial doesn't seem to ship with any brushes. So I tried to import a few, but I always get an error message, telling me that importing has failed. This even happens with .afbrushes files.

So therefore my question? Are brushes not supported in the trial version?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Athrul.

The trial version is identical to the retail version in function, so it should have the same brushes available. You should find them in the Brushes panel in the Studio (from the menu, View > Studio > Brushes when you're in the Photo Persona should display it if for some reason it's not showing up for you). For example, here's a screenshot showing the Basic brush category that I would expect you to see:
image.png.af0fb0e8d516199ef386214701fa24e1.png

You should have some additional categories available, too, but I'm not sure what they will be as I have added some categories to my installation.

If you're not seeing any in that panel, I'm not sure what might be wrong, but you could try resetting the brushes. From the menu, Edit > Preferences, then in the Miscellaneous section you could try "Reset Brushes".

I'm also not sure why your attempts to import brushes might be failing. How are you trying to import them?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Affinity Photo also supports importing PS brushes in the .abr file format, although some brushes so imported will not work exactly the same because of differences in the way the two apps implement pixel brushes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hm, strange. The list is empty for me. I'll try resetting the brushes one I'm home.

I tried importing them via drag and drop and once that had failed by using the menu option available next to the brushes tab. .abr failed to import as well.

EDIT: Resetting the brushes didn't change anything. Before I find a way to deal with this, shelling out 50€ is out of the question. Trying a fresh installation next.

EDIT EDIT: Well, that was easy. Something must have gone wrong during the initial installation. Everything works fine after reinstalling the program.

Edited by Athrul
New information, problem solved