You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffDes 1.6.1(Mac) Assets:no names

Hello,
I've created some assets and noticed something strange:
It seems that, without any obvious reason, some assets receive the default name from the layers panel when created and some don't.
It's quite haphazard, without rhime or reason.I've attached two screenshots.Assets.thumb.png.a4bed544b9d36d5917230a1e1cb74c39.png

The first 4 assets were created yesterday, on the same file. The names are according to the default object-names in the layer panel.
Those layers have since been deleted, the file was saved.
Then there is a gap, but acutally there is an asset there, not visible, no name : a rectangle 1mm wide, no stroke, also created yesterday:
The very last one also is a rectangle 2mm wide, also created yesterday. This too took the default name of the object in the layer panel.
That layer was also deleted, file saved.
So, in short  2 things happened :
1. Created objects >Asset from selection>Object names according to default name in Layers panel>Asset visible in asset panel with name.
2. Created objects >Asset from selection>Object names according to default name in Layers panel>Asset not visible in asset panel, no name.
3. Layers deleted, file saved.

I hope someone can shed some light on this behaviour; I'd surely appreciate it ! Thanks, C.L. :)

Lines.png

Just rename the layer to reflect the object then add it to the assets panel.
Screen-Shot-2019-05-23-at-21-12-27.png 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, catlover said:

2. Created objects >Asset from selection>Object names according to default name in Layers panel>Asset not visible in asset panel, no name.

If you hover the pointer over the gap, does a name appear in a tool tip after a short delay? If so, I suspect you are not seeing the asset because it is the same color as the background of the Assets panel, or nearly so.

The 'no name' issue could simply be that the asset is much wider than it is tall, so the width of the Asset panel is too narrow to show the name after its icon in the 'show as list' panel view.

To see what I mean, you can try importing this tiny 4KB test assets.afassets file. It has just two items, named "long wave" & "wave 1." In the Dark UI style with the Assets panel set to its minimum width, it looks like this:

668030137_testassets.jpg.be84a65b65f7b5d01df9ec042fb77e48.jpg

However, you won't see anything in the Light UI style because I purposely set their color to the same as the Light UI background, & both are too wide for the name to be displayed at that panel width. In fact, the "long wave" asset is so wide I have to drag the panel width out to well over 1/3 the width of my 27" display before there is enough room for its name to be displayed!

BTW, you can rename any asset simply by right-clicking on it (assuming you can see it!) & choosing "Rename Asset..." from the popup menu. You don't have to rename the layer & add it again, or anything like that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@firstdefence  and @R C-R  :

Thank you both for your input I tried out both your suggestions, here's what I found.

Renaming the object in the layers panel prior to creating an asset gives the desired result : a correctly named asset.
However, that still doesn't explain why sometimes the asset is visible with it's default name (curve,rectangle etc.see attached in previous post),
while at other times it is not : neither visible, nor named.

Unfortunately changing the UI to dark did not show the asset, nor did hovering over it turn up its name, Light or Dark UI.
The asset was not light grey to begin with, but bright green. Should have been visible I think, together with its default name (rectangle).

R_C_R : I tested with your file, on dark & light UI, on Dark UI it stood out (naturally....), but on light UI not, the name of the second item was indeed visible.
RH-click & rename didn't work : no name appeared.

Anyway, thanks again for the input, I suspect there might be a little beastie lurking in the code, also  because it seems to happen at random.
BTW : This also happens with the latest Beta.
Maybe if the Devs read this post they are able to make sense of it.
C.L.

9 minutes ago, catlover said:

However, that still doesn't explain why sometimes the asset is visible with it's default name (curve,rectangle etc.see attached in previous post),
while at other times it is not : neither visible, nor named.

The only other thing I can suggest at this point is, if you are willing to do so, to export your city-lines asset category & post the file here so we can check it out on our systems. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think the asset without the name is more to do with the scale (height) of the rectangle, if you reduce the height and add it as an asset it will show "rectangle" as the asset name. 

If you rotate that asset it will show as a thick horizontal line with no space for a name, else to mouse over and it will show rectangle.
Screen-Shot-2019-05-24-at-16-12-34.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you First Defence. But don't you think that an asset-should- be-an-asset-should -be-an-asset.

Without prior conditions for size or name or orientation?

Anyway, maybe I'm just being an old fuddyduddy here ;)
Thanks again. C.L.

20 minutes ago, catlover said:

Here you go : please have at it, thanks !!:)

Hmmm. I am running Affinity Designer 1.6.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. With the Assets panel set to its minimum width, this is what I see for the Light & Dark UI's for the Bparts subcategory:

1630582888_Cityassets-LightUI.jpg.f64592fc6dcacfed52cbcc26acb9c22a.jpg  675454924_Cityassets-DarkUI.jpg.f6f0bc7f2087b0420254a11a2645cfc7.jpg

In addition to the Rectangle asset showing as green with its name, hovering the pointer over any of the assets pops up its name, & right-clicking on it or any of the other assets pops up the contextual menu with the "Rename Asset..." & "Delete Asset" choices, both of which work as expected.

What OS & Affinity versions are you using?

Affinity Photo 

To avoid any confusion, are we still talking about the green rectangle asset or one of the other ones? Regardless of that, I still don't understand why you can't see the asset in the Asset panel, but maybe a few other tests will provide a clue about that:

1. If when you hover the pointer over the asset, what if anything happens if you right-click there?
  2. Referring to your first screenshot, from the gap it looks like there might be two assets that don't show an image, so what happens if you drag from just below the curve asset onto the canvas and from farther down, just above the named Rectangle asset?
  3. If you toggle the "Show as List" off & back on from the Assets burger menu, does anything change?
  4. If you export the City-lines category again, delete it from the app, & reimport it again, does anything change?

Maybe someone else can think of a few other tests, or another user running Mojave can download your citylines.afassets file & see if they get the same results as you do.

Affinity Photo 

Thank you very much for all your trouble.

In the mean time I've deleted the lot and started anew.

There is again an asset that I've just created which isn't visible, but hovering proves it's there.
I'm one of those people who likes to get to the bottom of a problem, but this has me stumped but I
don't want to linger over it any longer : it is what it is....
Since I'm just an amateur and hobbyist it really isn't that important.
Thanks again for all your trouble, best wishes,

C.L.

8 hours ago, catlover said:

Thank you First Defence. But don't you think that an asset-should- be-an-asset-should -be-an-asset.

Without prior conditions for size or name or orientation?

Anyway, maybe I'm just being an old fuddyduddy here ;)
Thanks again. C.L.

I agree, the assets panel needs work to get it to a reasonable standard.

• 3 years later...

So I found a solution to this problem when attempting to import the Font Awesome sprites as Assets. The Solids collection has over 1,300 icons in it and they import into a document just fine, and they contain the names for each icon. But when I would select them all and attempt to import them into the Asset manager, they would go over but every icon would just display the name "Curves". I have the new version 2.0, so I opened the old version to try it, and same thing happens. So I opened Publisher and tried it, same thing there too (probably the same code-base).

Anyway, if you just select around a 100 or so on each import, the names come over just fine (for me at least). Look in the top left of the interface for your selection count.

Hope this helps someone!