You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am so looking forward to replacing indesign. But I need layers. Without layers it is not a page layout program. What is shown as the layers palette is more of an objects palette. I need to be able to have an active layer that all new objects are put into. Always manually placing all new objects into its layer is a lot of work.

If I select an object that is manually put into a layer, the layer list expands so I can't see the other layers, and I need to scroll around in a meaningless list of not named objects, instead of looking at my layers. So I can't put my object on another layer because the other layers are not visible. And If I copy or move an object to another page, I will have to make a new layer with the same name and then manually put my object there?  This will newer work in a rational workflow. All my time will be spend fuzzing about with the layer palette instead of page layout work.

This is done well in other software, so why change it for something that does not work? Please please change this, so that we finally have a viable indesign alternative.

Edited by odd affi
typo

This has been discussed already in other threads.  The current layer structure is inherited from the other products (Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer) which use the same file format as Affinity Publisher so this is not likely to change (I certainly hope it does not as it is exactly what is needed in the other programs), and the current structure does work VERY well for what it is though it may not be what you are accustomed to from other layout software and is a solution for a different set of problems than the type of layer you are requesting.

The Affinity team is aware of the need for what we have come to refer to as "global layers" in Publisher and they have indicated clearly that they do plan to implement such a feature but it is unclear to the rest of us if this will happen in 1.7 or not - it might come in a later update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 12:13 PM, fde101 said:

This has been discussed already in other threads.  The current layer structure is inherited from the other products (Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer) which use the same file format as Affinity Publisher so this is not likely to change (I certainly hope it does not as it is exactly what is needed in the other programs), and the current structure does work VERY well for what it is though it may not be what you are accustomed to from other layout software and is a solution for a different set of problems than the type of layer you are requesting.

The Affinity team is aware of the need for what we have come to refer to as "global layers" in Publisher and they have indicated clearly that they do plan to implement such a feature but it is unclear to the rest of us if this will happen in 1.7 or not - it might come in a later update.

Indeed it has. Maybe you could take part in the discussion and chime in on those threads, even if it's just with your reactions? You see, it's also best to consolidate the discussion on those, instead of spreading it out across new ones.

This is a pervasive issue across the entire Affinity range and it must be solved ASAP (as in, hopefully in v.1.8.x, as it is way overdue) if it is to be taken seriously. I've been seeing scattered users asking for this, but I believe there are many more of us than Serif devs suspect. Many of them may not even be reacting, but just abandoning the suite altogether after they finish their trial.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:44 AM, odd affi said:

If I select an object that is manually put into a layer, the layer list expands so I can't see the other layers, and I need to scroll around in a meaningless list of not named objects, instead of looking at my layers.

See if Auto-scroll to show selection in Layers panel is checked in the User Interface of the Preferences.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, JGD said:

if it is to be taken seriously

I'm taking Publisher quite seriously whether it has these or not.  While I do see there being value in having these, not everyone needs them all the time, and there are plenty of things I can do without them.  Even though I have this capability in QuarkXPress now, I rarely use it, as most of my projects are small enough I see no real value in leveraging multiple layers for them.

The fact that tables can't currently span multiple pages is a bigger issue for me personally right now, but I'm convinced both of these limitations will be addressed in the (hopefully near) future.

16 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I'm taking Publisher quite seriously whether it has these or not.  While I do see there being value in having these, not everyone needs them all the time, and there are plenty of things I can do without them.  Even though I have this capability in QuarkXPress now, I rarely use it, as most of my projects are small enough I see no real value in leveraging multiple layers for them.

The fact that tables can't currently span multiple pages is a bigger issue for me personally right now, but I'm convinced both of these limitations will be addressed in the (hopefully near) future.

Well, that much I can say about InDesign, too. I rarely use layers on that. There's probably one or two complex and recurrent projects I've used them on, but that's about it.

However, in Ai, that's a whole different story… I just can't work without functional, universal layers in about half of all my projects. And on AD, the only workaround I can think of is treating it like Ai CS2 and just ignore artboards altogether until I need to export stuff (which can be a bit of a bummer if I'm working with a client and need to show some .PDFs along the designing process, by the way).

• 5 months later...