You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Solved] text ... Next Style

The wonderful feature "Next Style" seems to be not working.

1302338186_teststylehierarchy-nextstyle.jpg.f1596e092248842af6de9d2c1c35c998.jpg

Whereas the Help announces for "Text Style Types" complex flexibility with hierarchical styles, ...

816599162_teststylehierarchy-help.jpg.a6036480f6fedee1901f9fb11f779884.jpg

... the "Next Style" feature seems to be excluded from this approach:

Though "Next Style" would be one of the major uses for hierarchical styles, the Help text for "Creating and managing text styles" sounds like an excuse or workaround in saying: "Next style—for paragraph styles, this determines the text style automatically applied to the following paragraph. This is only activated when you press the <Enter key> when typing text."

This restriction seems to be even more not-intended when reading another hint some lines above in the help:

1382854506_teststylehierarchy-help-shortcuts.jpg.9e058b4fa594bb2c3244b82995820a88.jpg

... because this sounds like awareness of the simplicity to enter a shortcut key DURING typing text and its reduced need of "Next style" especially in that moments, too.
Not to mention that text in a layout application is rather written outside it, and gets formatted not by authors but – afterwards – by designers.

So, after all I am convinced that "Next Styles" not working to a text frame or text selection is just a temporary bug.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

It works for me on Windows. After I press enter the next paragraph style is applied. So, perhaps it is a Mac-specific bug, but that seems odd.

Can you provide a sample document where it doesnt work for you?

Here's my sample file where it does: next-styles.afpub

Create a new text frame and give it Para1 as the paragraph style. After you enter 1 paragraph and press enter, then the next one should be Para2 style, and after the next "enter" you should get Para3 style.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It works for me on Windows.

What does work for you?

Does this work?:
1. Paste or import some paragraphs into a text frame
2. Select either the frame or all text inside
3. Assign a style which includes a "Next Style"
––> Do you see the next style appear after the first paragraph?

Unfortunatly it even does not work at least if I place the cursor at the end of an existing paragraph and hit enter key to activate "Next Style". – Does that work for you?

Of course, no designer would manually write the entire text of a client or author because of gaining the benefit of "Next Style" only DURING the typing.
For example, it's very handy for repetitive content structures like these:

Name, Surname
 Function

or

Year
 Event, Headline
  Description, Body text block with
  several lines and
  than –> back to style 1 (Year)

Or, possibly more common, a lot in catalogs of any kind.

@Seneca,  how lovely, thank you!

That's exactly what I missed – and what I, sorry, hadn't even thought about after reading the restriction in the Help text. (actually using the context menu is the same workflow like in InDesign. Stupid me.)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this up again, but I think Apply [Style] Then Next Styles is still broken.

At the end of the video above the cursor is placed on the description text, but in the Text Styles panel "Year" is still selected and the summary box above reads "Year + Font: Roboto ...".
So in fact the description text is basically the Year style + some variations to make it look like the Description style. The "real" Description style is never applied.

Try changing the Description style afterwards in the above example. The appearance will not change as I would expect.

2 hours ago, maxgrafik said:

The "real" Description style is never applied.

Good catch. I would advise you to report it as a bug.

The latest beta .371 has the same issue.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

@Wosven, the initial topic is solved indeed: its first post was about next style not being assignable as style for existing text content.
Today, after maxgrafik's/Seneca's posts, renaming the thread would make it more confusing for those who read at the beginning.

13 minutes ago, thomaso said:

assignable as style for existing text content

It's bugged and not working as expected: the next styles aren't applied, if you select next paragraphs, they'll show Style_1 applied instead of what they look like and what they should be (style_2, style_3, etc.).

That's not solved, if it was, we would be able to search text with one of the following styles applied, and those paragraphs should appear in the result.

And worste: if you modify one of those styles, the modifications aren't applied to the paragraphs supposed to be in those styles.

Edited by Wosven
Added last comment

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.