You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange Mis-Alignements in EPS Documents

Not a fix to this issue but saving as a PDF using Adobe Illustrators default PDF export settings gives a solution and appears to maintain the layer structure much better, not exact but close.

128750-ORL3BH-313 re save as.pdf

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, REVENTOR said:

Hello! I attached another file with the same problem. Both Affinity Desinger and Photo show those "seperation lines" in the program as well as in exports.

All other Mac apps I use here which can deal with EPS show these size/placement related lines too, no matter if GC, Preview, Ghostscript etc. So only Adobe might treat those in terms of image rect portion sizing/placement differently then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I didn't actually download/open that EPS file. I did click on it to see the size, though. At that size of EPS, which is typically a very compact/efficient format, I would hazard a guess that the AI data is saved in that file and that then would be the portion that AI is opening, not the EPS portion everything else is going to open.

Also likely is there will be two or more clipping paths in it. Those regions, when they overlap, are notorious for breaking up images/vectors that might get rasterized in an EPS, into chunks.

It may be possible to open in AI, release the clipping masks, (likely) enlarge the artboard, then make a PDF and open that into an Affinity application more or less intact.

Mike

28 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It may be possible to open in AI, release the clipping masks, (likely) enlarge the artboard, then make a PDF and open that into an Affinity application more or less intact.

EPS still breaks after unclipping etc.

Unclipping changes how the layers are laid out slightly but either way the resultant layers still need to be reorganised a bit to make it inline with Adobe Illustrators, but its close. In the end clipped or unclipped, it's splitting hairs and there is still work to be done.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

OK. I downloaded it. It opens OK in AD, but the groups are all messed up. However, I don't have the display issues (the thin lines).

In Xara Photo & Graphic Designer, it comes in perfectly with the same groups as when opened in AI. The clipping masks are properly removed as well.

I'm using the Windows release version of AD.

• 6 months later...

Saving as AI and opening in AD is looking good. But ... hell ... there must be a few thousand objects. I guess the basis was a traced bitmap? Looking at the EPS in AD gives me the impression, that those thin lines won't appear in print, they are just too thin. Nevertheless, AD opens this file mostly containing images instead of vectors.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed