You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi HarryB,

Welcome to the forums :)

If you go to Document > Resize Canvas and set the anchor to the mid point then add 3 to the dimensions this should do what you are looking for. Its worth noting the dimensions fields do support mathematical expressions so you could literally add +3 to the end of the field and it will add 3 pixels to the value I have included a video of this below!

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

For a 3px border would you not need to add 6 to the width and height rather than 3?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Did you not watch the video Callum posted for you?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have now. However, following exactly what Callum does gives me a pixel border on the left and top but not on the right and bottom, even though I have centralised the anchor point. Any ideas why this might be?

• Staff

If possible could you provide a screen recording of you trying it?

5 minutes ago, HarryB said:

I have now. However, following exactly what Callum does gives me a pixel border on the left and top but not on the right and bottom, even though I have centralised the anchor point. Any ideas why this might be?

• Staff
6 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Callum. I've suceeded in taking a video. Does this help you to say why resizing the canvas doesn't work in the way yours does?

For some reason the resize document window isn't showing in the video. Which software did you use to record your screen?

• Staff

I haven't used Game bar or Monosnap as I work primarily on Mac however could you try Monosnap to see if that works? Sorry that this has become more difficult than it should have been!

• Staff
5 minutes ago, HarryB said:

I haven't been able to run Monosnap on my PC. It won't even run as administrator. I can try it on my laptop which runs Windows 10 Pro. It might make a difference.

If your phone has a camera could you try using that to record your screen and then send me that video?

On 5/23/2019 at 9:13 AM, HarryB said:

Putting a 3 pixel border (Keylining) around an image is easy in Photoshop. The same function does not appear to be in Affinity Photo. How can I do this in Affinity?

No it's not as easy, but have a look at this video on thin border creation  - InAffinity: "Creating Outline Border Using Effects (fx) in Affinity Photo", -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af_tp75MDKQ

With the 'problem' borders you have created already, zoom in 150% and see if they are there.  Sometimes parts of the border are not displayed accurately, but if you zoom in, they are there.

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro

Woodkopf: That looks brilliant. I'll have a better look at it tomorrow. re: your comment on zooming in. Yes I can see the borders when zoomed in but they still don't print- at least not the quick attempt I made the other day.

Thanks again. Harryb

HarryB: In the link sent yesterday, with respect to the borders, if you want the photo to be a specific size, e.g. for a Projected Display Image competition, it is best to start with a layer that is made up of all the previous visible layers, i.e. left mouse click the top layer, then when highlighted, right click and select “Merge Visible”, which creates a new combined layer.

So that the size of the photo is not changed, select the "Alignment" to be "inside"; the "Colour" e.g. white, to isolate the photo from the display background and a suitable thin pixel size.  Please see attached image.

2095175472_LayerEffectsDialoguebox.jpg.ec3bd56300fea6a09e893a79efdc8e4a.jpg

Woodkopf: I've been playing with the Fx tab as you suggest. This method works really well as long as the image hasn't been cropped. If the image has been cropped then exporting it and saving as a jpeg allows the Fx procedure to work beautifully again. Thanks for your help.

20 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Woodkopf: I've been playing with the Fx tab as you suggest. This method works really well as long as the image hasn't been cropped. If the image has been cropped then exporting it and saving as a jpeg allows the Fx procedure to work beautifully again. Thanks for your help.

@HarryBGreat, glad it has been useful.