Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I guess this goes for all Affinity apps, but what are the chances of them getting actual document icons? Right now the icons are the same as the app itself. If I've turned off document previews, all my documents would look like apps. It's kind of confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I don't store applications in same directories/folders with documents I can't confuse them.

 

 


macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I guess this goes for all Affinity apps, but what are the chances of them getting actual document icons? Right now the icons are the same as the app itself. If I've turned off document previews, all my documents would look like apps. It's kind of confusing.

You seem to frequently post in the Mac forums here, so I'll guess you're a Mac user.

I'm a Windows user, and in my experience on Windows the document icons are usually a close match, or identical, to the application icons. That makes it easier to determine which application a document belongs to, in my opinion.

As @thomaso  said, keeping applications in application directories, and documents in document directories, removes any possibiity of confusion. I wouldn't think of organizing my system in any other way, and I hope Affinity keeps the icons as they are.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

in my experience on Windows the document icons are usually a close match, or identical, to the application icons.

Can you name an example? I am a private windows user and mac user at work. And on both systems there is a distinction between app icons and document icons.

The foundation for a document icon is a rectangle with a folded corner, resembling a sheet of paper. And then its customized by each application.


Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ivbera said:

Can you name an example? I am a private windows user and mac user at work. And on both systems there is a distinction between app icons and document icons.

The foundation for a document icon is a rectangle with a folded corner, resembling a sheet of paper. And then its customized by each application.

Thanks. That is subtle enough that I usually don't even notice it (or remember it).


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.641 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I guess this goes for all Affinity apps, but what are the chances of them getting actual document icons? Right now the icons are the same as the app itself. If I've turned off document previews, all my documents would look like apps. It's kind of confusing.

 

On the machines I use, all Macs running Finder, each of my Publisher documents is displayed using an icon that is a preview of the first page. I find this helpful.

I can also confirm that, in the Finder's List view, my Publisher documents show up simply as "Document"; whereas my Photo and Designer documents show up as "Affinity Photo document" and "Affinity Designer document," respectively.


Using macOS 10.13.6,    Publisher 1.7.1.408,    and Publisher Beta 1.7.2.420.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Right now the icons are the same as the app itself.

The difference might be subtle, but this statement is not true. :)

Icons.png.fa12530462f04f1d153ffdd041c7bc89.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

On the machines I use, all Macs running Finder, each of my Publisher documents is displayed using an icon that is a preview of the first page

This is usually a preference that can be disabled as it takes up additional resources on the system to maintain all of the separate icon previews - also the generic document icons will sometimes show up for a short time until the previews are rendered.  The current Affinity beta ones with the big squares are particularly large and obtrusive and I agree that they should be wrapped into proper document icons.

 

10 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Publisher icon.jpg

Very nice...  assuming we are stuck with the flat boring square application icons this is a great example of how the related document icons should be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

It took me 15 minutes to come up with something quick and dirty. I can't imagine this being much of an investment to include...

Publisher icon.jpg

Yes! something like this.
Just my personal thoughts and preference: - I would go with a clean folding paper or more edged and no gradient. Also the written "Publisher" doesn't work too well with small icons. I would go with a bigger PUB / AFPUB or no text at all since the color and icons are recognizable enough.

I hope a document icon will be included, since i am not a fan of customizing too many things.


Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 7:26 AM, fde101 said:

This is usually a preference that can be disabled as it takes up additional resources on the system to maintain all of the separate icon previews - also the generic document icons will sometimes show up for a short time until the previews are rendered.  The current Affinity beta ones with the big squares are particularly large and obtrusive and I agree that they should be wrapped into proper document icons.

 

Yes, I prefer the preview-as-icon thing but I also agree that the current non-preview icons are not ideal.

And then there's QuickLook, which Affinity could also do better with. Here's Apple's spiel:

Quick Look offers a fast, full-size preview of nearly any kind of file without opening the file. Just press the Space bar to rotate photos, trim audio and video clips, and use Markup to crop photos and annotate images or PDFs. You can use Quick Look for items in Finder windows, on your desktop, in emails and messages, and other places.

Just to illustrate one possible improvement: In the Finder, if you invoke QuickLook on a PDF document or a Pages document, you can scroll through from beginning to end; whereas with an Affinity document, it seems only the first page shows in QuickLook.

 


Using macOS 10.13.6,    Publisher 1.7.1.408,    and Publisher Beta 1.7.2.420.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.