You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

12 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I guess this goes for all Affinity apps, but what are the chances of them getting actual document icons? Right now the icons are the same as the app itself. If I've turned off document previews, all my documents would look like apps. It's kind of confusing.

You seem to frequently post in the Mac forums here, so I'll guess you're a Mac user.

I'm a Windows user, and in my experience on Windows the document icons are usually a close match, or identical, to the application icons. That makes it easier to determine which application a document belongs to, in my opinion.

As @thomaso  said, keeping applications in application directories, and documents in document directories, removes any possibiity of confusion. I wouldn't think of organizing my system in any other way, and I hope Affinity keeps the icons as they are.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

45 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

in my experience on Windows the document icons are usually a close match, or identical, to the application icons.

Can you name an example? I am a private windows user and mac user at work. And on both systems there is a distinction between app icons and document icons.

The foundation for a document icon is a rectangle with a folded corner, resembling a sheet of paper. And then its customized by each application.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

2 hours ago, ivbera said:

Can you name an example? I am a private windows user and mac user at work. And on both systems there is a distinction between app icons and document icons.

The foundation for a document icon is a rectangle with a folded corner, resembling a sheet of paper. And then its customized by each application.

Thanks. That is subtle enough that I usually don't even notice it (or remember it).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I guess this goes for all Affinity apps, but what are the chances of them getting actual document icons? Right now the icons are the same as the app itself. If I've turned off document previews, all my documents would look like apps. It's kind of confusing.

On the machines I use, all Macs running Finder, each of my Publisher documents is displayed using an icon that is a preview of the first page. I find this helpful.

I can also confirm that, in the Finder's List view, my Publisher documents show up simply as "Document"; whereas my Photo and Designer documents show up as "Affinity Photo document" and "Affinity Designer document," respectively.

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

10 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

On the machines I use, all Macs running Finder, each of my Publisher documents is displayed using an icon that is a preview of the first page

This is usually a preference that can be disabled as it takes up additional resources on the system to maintain all of the separate icon previews - also the generic document icons will sometimes show up for a short time until the previews are rendered.  The current Affinity beta ones with the big squares are particularly large and obtrusive and I agree that they should be wrapped into proper document icons.

10 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Publisher icon.jpg

Very nice...  assuming we are stuck with the flat boring square application icons this is a great example of how the related document icons should be done.

17 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

It took me 15 minutes to come up with something quick and dirty. I can't imagine this being much of an investment to include...

Publisher icon.jpg

Yes! something like this.
Just my personal thoughts and preference: - I would go with a clean folding paper or more edged and no gradient. Also the written "Publisher" doesn't work too well with small icons. I would go with a bigger PUB / AFPUB or no text at all since the color and icons are recognizable enough.

I hope a document icon will be included, since i am not a fan of customizing too many things.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

On 5/24/2019 at 7:26 AM, fde101 said:

This is usually a preference that can be disabled as it takes up additional resources on the system to maintain all of the separate icon previews - also the generic document icons will sometimes show up for a short time until the previews are rendered.  The current Affinity beta ones with the big squares are particularly large and obtrusive and I agree that they should be wrapped into proper document icons.

Yes, I prefer the preview-as-icon thing but I also agree that the current non-preview icons are not ideal.

And then there's QuickLook, which Affinity could also do better with. Here's Apple's spiel:

Quick Look offers a fast, full-size preview of nearly any kind of file without opening the file. Just press the Space bar to rotate photos, trim audio and video clips, and use Markup to crop photos and annotate images or PDFs. You can use Quick Look for items in Finder windows, on your desktop, in emails and messages, and other places.

Just to illustrate one possible improvement: In the Finder, if you invoke QuickLook on a PDF document or a Pages document, you can scroll through from beginning to end; whereas with an Affinity document, it seems only the first page shows in QuickLook.

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

• 11 months later...

I'm new here. This discussion thread terminates about a year ago it seems. I'm converting all my InDesign (I own the version, no subscription) documents to Publisher prior to updating from 10.13 to 10.15 where non-subscribed versions no longer run. I would like the documents icons to display in the manner described here, particularly the one described by Jeremey. InDesign files are easily identifiable with their maroon colour. But when I convert a file across to Publisher the file icon is for a moment the Affinity colours - red/orange thingie - and then it goes to a minute version of the first page of the file which is basically not a very call out. So...am I missing the elusive obvious...is there a way to display an Affinity coloured file icon? Thanks.

9 hours ago, ozrolfer said:

first page of the file which is basically not a very call out. So...am I missing the elusive obvious...is there a way to display an Affinity coloured file icon?

Win or Mac? – in macOS you have two related options:
1. the Affinity app preference to save icons (Prefs > General > Save ...) 557902281_preficonsapp.jpg.61bbdd258635c746416e49193b2e2dfe.jpg
2. the mac Finder window setting to show symbols (Cmd-J) 496969034_prefsiconsmacos.jpg.90e7f258bd7c1cff4514bbd86e1c9e9c.jpg

So, e.g. with the setting above you will 1. get a preview with Quicklook (space bar) but 2. do see just an Affinity symbol in Finder window's list view.

1870774506_prefslistviewquicklook.jpg.4c6900f2230090f70ae292a3252022e1.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1