You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

document orientation

I had a glitch on opening a new A4 document. On a previous session I had been working on a horizontal document. But on the next session when opening the programme and choosing a new A4 vertical doc. The direction of the document would not change from displaying horizontally. Eventually I did manage to refresh by opening a letter size doc then trying again.

Win 10
Beta 1.70312 

AffinityBeta_Capture.PNG

Noticed this too, that the pre-selected Page Preset has nothing in common with the page orientation and width and height initially displayed. Switching Page Preset is working to solve the problem.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I can't understand why there is a need of a "Default Master" chеck box when there is only one master page by default when creating a new document. You can't create a new document which contains more than one master page BTW.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

I can't understand why there is a need of a "Default Master" chack box when there is only one master page by default when creating a new document. You can't create a new document which contains more than one master page BTW.

Good point. Maybe one day there will be another field for loading Master Pages from external source? hinthint

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Good point. Maybe one day there will be another field for loading Master Pages from external source? hinthint

I don't think so. Master pages are supposed to be created or loaded from external source when you have an opened document. Creating/loading ones on creating new documents doesn't make any sense.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

5 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

I can't understand why there is a need of a "Default Master" chеck box when there is only one master page by default when creating a new document. You can't create a new document which contains more than one master page BTW.

You're right that the checkbox will only give you one Master page. But I believe the checkbox is there to support scenarios where you might not want any master page at all.

Some of those scenarios may become more apparent when the additional personas are enabled, but that's only my guess at this point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You're right that the checkbox will only give you one Master page. But I believe the checkbox is there to support scenarios where you might not want any master page at all.

Some of those scenarios may become more apparent when the additional personas are enabled, but that's only my guess at this point.

Even without this option all pages must be assigned to the default (only) master page. If you don't need it, you can assign master page "None" as it is possible in ID and QXP.

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Even without this option all pages must be assigned to the default (only) master page. If you don't need it, you can assign master page "None" as it is possible in ID and QXP.

If I do not want a Master Page at all, why should I have to select my pages, unassign the master, then delete the master. It is much easier for me to simply uncheck the box and have no Master Pages at all from the very beginning.

If you always want a Master Page, you can just ignore the check box. But those of us who don't want one should still have the option as it improves our workflow.

In any case, when we consider the complete Affinity suite of applications, and the further integration of Pubisher with Designer and Photo via the additional Publisher Personas, it is clear to me that it will become more important to allow Publisher documents that have no pages.

For example, by opening .afpub documents in Designer Beta or .afdesign documents in Publisher, we can already see that a document can have multiple Pages (or a page and a Master), or Artboards, but not both. From that we can infer that if the Publisher Personas will allow us to create a Designer document in Publisher, that Publisher will need the ability to create a new document without any pages, or the new document won't be able to use Artboards in the Designer Persona.

That means that the checkbox may be even more important in the future, though of course that depends on what Serif has planned for Publisher when the additional Personas are activated.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

...In any case, when we consider the complete Affinity suite of applications, and the further integration of Pubisher with Designer and Photo via the additional Publisher Personas, it is clear to me that it will become more important to allow Publisher documents that have no pages...

Your explanation @walt.farrell is very thorough as you are part of the A-Team (which I don't think you are). Because I don't agree with your explanation I would rather wait to see what some member of the staff is going to say on this matter. If he agrees with you than I appologize to you.

3 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Your explanation @walt.farrell is very thorough as you are part of the A-Team (which I don't think you are). Because I don't agree with your explanation I would rather wait to see what some member of the staff is going to say on this matter. If he agrees with you than I appologize to you.

That's fine, Petar.

It's largely observations you could make yourself by examining the interactions between Publisher and Designer today (as I mentioned), but none of us really knows where Serif is going with Publisher except the Serif staff :)

(Also, no, I'm not part of Serif staff, as you can see by the lack of a staff badge or Moderator tag on my posts.)

-- Walt
PC:

I've not needed master pages and I probably wouldn't need them for most of my projects. Therefore haven't yet explored this with Publisher but this discussion has highlighted an area for me to explore further.  Thank you all

My opinion is that Publisher will be mostly used by users who work on long documents, magazines and other similar stuff that need master pages. For others there is Designer, no pages, no master pages. If they implement artboards in Publisher it will be too much. Real mess.

• Staff
On 5/23/2019 at 2:14 AM, oculist said:

The direction of the document would not change from displaying horizontally

Can I just clarify, that even though you had portrait ticked you were getting landscape documents created? I've not been able to reproduce this yet. It might be worth updating to 337 as well.

Regarding the "Default Master", this option is indeed more for users that don't want a master page created and assigned by default when creating a new publication.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Can I just clarify, that even though you had portrait ticked you were getting landscape documents created? I've not been able to reproduce this yet. It might be worth updating to 337 as well.

Regarding the "Default Master", this option is indeed more for users that don't want a master page created and assigned by default when creating a new publication.

Thanks

Yes it did not change the orientation when I ticked the 'Arrangement' dialog box. I closed and opened the programme a few times and only solved it when opening a different sized document first. Hopefully .337 has resolved it. 

I have had a problem with the automatic update from the alert message on my current version - I see there is a discussion regarding this. 

I will try and replicate the orientation issue with the latest version and let you know. 

Thank you for your help. 

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

Can you mention any kind of users that don't need pages to be automatically assigned to the only "Master-A" master page? Such people should use Designer instead. Why we, who produce a lot of books and magazines, to be somehow "punished" to manually apply master page to the pages?

My opinion is that all uses who produce books and magazines always need master pages automatically assigned to pages.

56 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Why we, who produce a lot of books and magazines, to be somehow "punished" to manually apply master page to the pages?

How are you being "punished" by the presence of that checkbox/option? It defaults to checked, giving you the behavior you want. So just ignore it if you don't want to turn it off.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, Jon P said:

Thanks

I have upgraded to v.337 and I still have the glitch! ..even worse as my workaround (opening a different sized doc) does not work now either :( 

I've rebooted and have tried to change orientation with Document setup too. 

Win 10
XPS 15 9570 

On 5/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, Petar Petrenko said:

My opinion is that Publisher will be mostly used by users who work on long documents, magazines and other similar stuff that need master pages. For others there is Designer, no pages, no master pages. If they implement artboards in Publisher it will be too much. Real mess.

Hi Petar, Not all users will be 'power users' some will just need a dtp layout tool for occasional projects. 

In my own case I recently bought a new laptop and could not install my old legit copy of Adobe CS. Therefore I bought Affinity Photo and am trying out Publisher. I haven't invested in Designer as yet but probably will in future and I will purchase Publisher. I am using it to create a few leaflets and a newsletter for my residents group. I am an occasional user - by project.
It is fantastic to have professional tools available at an affordable price. I used to work in 3D computer graphics - I became ill but want to maintain my skillset and I'm really ****ed  off with Adobe. 

The settings in the screenshot seem ok.

I am just wondering if this behaviour of not able to set portrait mode is transferable via the afpub-file.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

14 minutes ago, ivbera said:

I am just wondering if this behaviour of not able to set portrait mode is transferable via the afpub-file.

This is the horizontal document from when I could use my workaround but I think I have since saved it out in the new version.

I'm using typefaces I downloaded so it will display weirdly. 

Hope that helps 

SBTC_A4_final.afpub

thanks. but I thought, the new document, where you were not able to put to vertical.

did you try turning off facing pages? when turned on it seems so be horizontal on the miniatures.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

1 hour ago, ivbera said:

thanks. but I thought, the new document, where you were not able to put to vertical.

did you try turning off facing pages? when turned on it seems so be horizontal on the miniatures.

Thank you! I know what was going wrong now - I had the Portrait box still checked...doh! So that even if I used the  Arrangement dialog box; the orientation would not change. So simple but so easy to miss that little box. 

Oh well, glad you figured it out and that it wasn't a bug.

My proposal to would be a graphical preview of a rectangle in set orientation.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.