You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug or by design regarding Publisher (337) large file size with linked Photo documents.

I am not certain that my memory is correct but I think the withdrawn version of Publisher would treat Photo and Designer files the same way as TIFFs JPEGs PDFs etc and present us with a much smaller document size than the current version does. Could just be my memory playing false. Is this expected or designed behaviour? Meaning that the Photo and Designer files add so much weight to the Publisher document?

A simple test:
A Publisher document: 374,619,769 bytes (385.9 MB on disk)
The three Photo (beta) files total: 375,050,363 bytes (391.5 MB on disk) not much of a savings there...

A Publisher document: 754,917 bytes (791 KB on disk)
The three TIFFs (from the beta) files total: 257,688,748 bytes (257.7 MB on disk) Significant savings.

I really don't mind the jagged previews if that is the price to pay for a reduction in size.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, >|< said:

The first version that was supposed to have true linking had the same problem as you've noticed in .337.

Thanks for clearing that up.

13 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Someone else had reported in the 377 beta thread the same result, that there was little to no size savings when using native Affinity files. It's unclear if this is intentional but I can't see why it would be.

It does seem odd. But I am old school and use TIFFs or JPEGs etc for placement.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Personally I save everything in native Designer or Photo formats and link them in Publisher. I would of expected this to be the 'default workflow'. I'd assume when a Designer or Photo file gets placed into Publisher a preview is generated for visual purposes and the large file is linked, resulting in a small Publisher file. Is that not the case?

11 minutes ago, >|< said:

What happens when you try it?

So as a test I place a 115meg afphoto file (linked) into a fresh Publisher doc and save. The Publisher doc is 172meg in size.

As another test I exported the same image as a PDF from Photo - now a 157meg file - and placed this in Publisher instead. Saved and the Pub doc is 55meg.

In both instances, with it being linked, I kind of expected the Publisher file to be tiny?

I think this problem persists disregarding file format.
I have problems with my pdfs. I have multi page pdfs which are 6MB or even larger to 20MB. I know it is a huge pdf but this depends on my profession. The file size of the afpub is still huge.

When placing one page of a 20mb pdf: the afpub already is over 100mb. when placing another page of the same pdf it kind of doubles or triples the afpub file size.

When I tried it on beta .330 my file size was just 3MB.

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

• Staff

Hi all,

I've done some investigating here, and logged an issue relating to PDF/afphoto/afdesign filetypes leading to larger than expected afpublisher files.

When linking multi page pdfs, I would expect the publisher file to be a bit larger than it would with for example a JPG (I wouldn't expect a tiny filesize for example with a linked multi page PDF) but I wouldn't expect it to end up larger than the PDF that was linked.

Thanks for reporting this

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 8 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Linking certain file types leads to large afpub filesizes) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.