Guillaume Dube

[By Design] Selection from layer bug

Posted (edited)

Reproduced in Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 and 1.7.0.333.
Surface Book 2, Windows 10 v1903, build 18362.116.
I'm working on an external monitor, a Dell 27in, 1080p., resolution set to 1080p, 100% scaling.

I'm trying the select an object out of its background; I may not use the most efficient method since I'm a newbie.
The object is an excel window that I screenshoted using the snipping tool; I attached the screenshot ("3-Refresh.png) to this post.

1. Use Rectangular Marquee tool to start selecting the window.
  2. Switch to Quick Mask (Q).
  3. Use Move Tool to adjust the selection to the whole window.
  4. Use Rectangular Marquee tool to create a new selection for the part of the context menu that's out of the window.
  5. Once the selection is adjusted, I try the following: Edit > Fill, tick Custom Color (White), then click Apply.

After step 5, the result of the fill is offsetted; it's like the fill didn't respect the selection I made.

Out of curiosity, I then tried to use a brush to paint over the remaining "red" within my selection, but the brush is inexplicably grossly pixelated (I included the screenshot "OddBrush.png" to show what it looked like,  though the brush cursor isn't visible; it's a circle).

I included a video as well of my reproduction steps, "2019-05-22 15-47-12.flv".

3-Refresh.png

OddBrush.png

Edited by Guillaume Dube

Don't use the quick mask in between,simply use the selection marquee:

• Marquee around the big part
  • Make sure the "add" option on the toolbar is selected
  • Marquee around the extra part so that it joins up with the bigger part(you'll see the marching ants around all selected)
  • Now choose menu>edit>fill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Don't use the quick mask in between,simply use the selection marquee:

• Marquee around the big part
  • Make sure the "add" option on the toolbar is selected
  • Marquee around the extra part so that it joins up with the bigger part(you'll see the marching ants around all selected)
  • Now choose menu>edit>fill

I used the Quick Mask to adjust my inital selection, because I couldn't be pixel-precise with it. 
I needed to zoom to the opposite corner.

Is there a different way to adjust the initial selection without the Quick Mask?

The additive selection is working correctly if I don't want to switch to the Quick Mask, but still, if I can't adjust my selections...

You can add as many selection parts to the first,they all will add up,even if they don't join up and use alt+drag to unselect
but you can use the quick mask:

Between your third and fourth step, click the quick mask button again,it will unmask>select the marquee tool again(add option)>select the extra part and off you go

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But in this case you could have used two rectangles>geometry>add>and mask/clip or cut from original image

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Between your third and fourth step, click the quick mask button again,it will unmask>select the marquee tool again(add option)>select the extra part and off you go

The problem is that, even if I do so, my additive selection will behave oddly. 

I attached two pictures of what you described, ie. I exited Quick Mask mode to perform the last selection.

1. Before.png is the very moment before I release Mouse-LeftClick to complete the selection.
  2. After.png is the resulting selection.

Why does it behave this way? 
Why is the resulting selection not exactly what I selected before releasing the mouse?
I'm not seeing this behavior if I never go into Quick Mask, eg. if I grossly select the whole window using the Marquee tool, then select the bottom part of the contextmenu.

After.png

After.png

Before.png

Before.png

Edited by Guillaume Dube

I don't get that result,sorry

23 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I don't get that result,sorry

Ah well it's most likely a problem with my environment. With a multi monitors setup, a high dpi laptop, and a new version of Windows, I'm kind of asking for trouble.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @Guillaume Dube,

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm not getting that either. Can you please try this?

• Close Photo
  • Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\
  • Rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup
  • Reopen photo

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Posted (edited)

@GabrielM

Hi! My Affinity Photo installation is fresh from yesterday, but nonetheless I renamed that folder and the bug still occurs.

It really seems like a resolution issue in Quick Mask mode, so this might be tricky to reproduce on your end.

I'm attaching two pictures of the same brush, but one in normal mode and the other in Quick Mask mode. 

Normal mode, brush looks fine.

1.thumb.png.5fcd37d7c98a1f4689737ed89474ee99.png

Quick Mask mode, brush looks pixelated.
As if the resolution of the Quick Mask was much lower.

2.thumb.png.6a4e93d73d6edd7a6a6a9c6af02dcc3e.png

Finally, another screenshot of Quick Mask when nothing is selected yet, and I haven't messed with selection adjustments, etc.
Brush looks fine.

3.thumb.png.b8b4b83ad0bf2755949ff00ce4d2dc05.png

Edited by Guillaume Dube

3 hours ago, Guillaume Dube said:

Quick Mask mode, brush looks pixelated.
As if the resolution of the Quick Mask was much lower.

In your video, you make a small selection of the table then go into Quick Mask, switch to the Move Tool and then drag that "selection" to cover the majority of the table.

This will always give you a pixelated brush.

1. Where possible you can aim to make 95-99% of your selection outside of the Quick Mask mode, using the various selection tools. You can then enter Quick Mask mode and refine it further if you need to. Doing it this way will avoid the pixelated brush you are seeing, which is caused by you dragging/resizing the selection (excessively) once in Quick mask

2. Alternatively, when in Quick Mask you can make or add to selections but don't drag/resize the selections to the extent that you have been doing 

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

@carl123 
Oh, so this is expected behavior you think?
The transform affects the whole layer, not just the selection?

The workaround I found was to go instead in Affinity Designer and create a mask out of combined rectangles, which is less annoying than adding many rectangular selections together, just to avoid resizing a single rectangular selection.

1 minute ago, Guillaume Dube said:

which is less annoying than adding many rectangular selections together, just to avoid resizing a single rectangular selection.

Why do you need to add many rectangular selections together?

You only need 2 as far I can see

1 for the bulk of the table then one more (added) to include the part of the menu that drops below the table

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Why do you need to add many rectangular selections together?
You only need 2 as far I can see
1 for the bulk of the table then one more (added) to include the part of the menu that drops below the table

2 rectangles at minimum, yes.

But when I make the first (to select the whole Excel window), I need to be zoomed out, and it's difficult to be pixel precise at that zoom level. That is, to select precisely around the edges of the window. So I make a gross selection first, then adjust it (with transform operations) or add more rectangular selections to it at a more workable zoom level.

Edited by Guillaume Dube

To select the whole Excel window, you can zoom in then start a pixel perfect selection from the top-left and drag it to bottom-right in one go.

The canvas will automatically pan/scroll as you move your cursor to the right and bottom of the current view.

You can also refer to the navigator panel, which will give you an approximation of where you currently are, if need be

You just need to practice this. Making multiple rectangular selections to select something that can be done in one go is not the way to do it

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

To select the whole Excel window, you can zoom in then start a pixel perfect selection from the top-left and drag it to bottom-right in one go.
The canvas will automatically pan/scroll as you move your cursor to the right and bottom of the current view.
You can also refer to the navigator panel, which will give you an approximation of where you currently are, if need be
You just need to practice this. Making multiple rectangular selections to select something that can be done in one go is not the way to do it

I appreciate that you can do that, and as I tried it just now, I discovered that you can scroll-zoom while dragging the selection, which is convenient.
I don't know however that this is the best way to do it for big selections; it doesn't feel as good as just transforming the initial selection.
I initially tried it that way because I read it from here: 

I still think the transform messing with the whole layer is either odd at best, or a bug at worst.
I'd like to hear what a developer has to say about this, or hear it from an Affinity official at least.

Anyhow, thanks for your answers Carl.

True, it could well be a bug but that's the only way I know to avoid the pixelated brush you were seeing.  Let's see what the Devs come back with

10 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Just out of interest. Can you unplug your monitor and try the same on the Surface? Does it work? 

I detached the external monitor and rebooted just to be sure, but I still get the same behavior working with the Surface's display only.

Hmmm... try this, please. Disconnect the external display and try it on the main one @ 100% scaling. I'm trying to see where the problem is...

So I disconnected the external display, set main display to 100% scaling then rebooted, and the issue is still present.

I also tried to set the main display to 1080p and 100%; it made no difference. 

I played around with selections and transforms, and the issue really appears when I start with a small selection then transform it in a much bigger one. If I start with a large selection and only transform it a bit, like add a few pixels in height and width, then I don't see the brush being pixelated.