You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canceling a batch job after it's started?

I've made a mistake with the destination folder (same as the original folder). Is there a way to cancel a batch job after it's started? Also how do I tell the app not to write over a file with the same name, or auto rename it with (2), (3)? It was a copy of a folder (no big deal), but I'd like to know. Thank you. 

This is still really weird... should not be so complicated to add some Play/Pause/Stop buttons to the panel, is it? It's still not that unusual that I find that the output of a batch is not exactly what I wanted it to be and besides having to setup everything again just to tweak one setting, I at first have to force quit Affinity Photo to stop the current batch. Useable, but neither intuitive nor user-friendly...

Well it depends on implementation and the underlaid used techniques here. Especially parallel processing can be tricky and is often more difficult to overall handle in a graceful manner.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I think that it behooves you to try out your batch process with a single file first, and to ensure that your output destination (or filetype) is different from the source.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

13 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I think that it behooves you to try out your batch process with a single file first, and to ensure that your output destination (or filetype) is different from the source.

John

I am so used to have a cancel option for batch processing I was a bit surprised it wasn't there. No loss for me as I was testing it on a backup folder.

On 5/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, John Rostron said:

John

Trying out would work nicely as a work flow if the batch dialogue's settings were saved, so you'd only have to set the new input files to finally run the batch. As this is not the case, you have to repeat all settings which not only takes time but also provokes errors. So yes, different destination is always to be recommended, but the workflow gets not really better including testing of each batch operation, I think.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, Waldbaer said:

Trying out would work nicely as a work flow if the batch dialogue's settings were saved, so you'd only have to set the new input files to finally run the batch. As this is not the case, you have to repeat all settings which not only takes time but also provokes errors. So yes, different destination is always to be recommended, but the workflow gets not really better including testing of each batch operation, I think.

This is more important that a cancel option. I was getting my files from multiple folders doing multiple jobs. You can't drag and drop files and folders on the list directly.