You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Import raster image quality

Is there anything I can do about the appalling quality of raster images embedded in a PDF that I'm opening in Designer?

The PDF in Preview clearly has high quality photographic elements, but when I open the PDF in Designer these are reduced to very VERY low quality, like as if they were icon previews that have been blown up.

It's possible that there's something different with these PDFs as I've not encountered similar issues with PDFs from the same provider. It might be that there's something that needs amending in your PDF import code. Unfortunately I am unable to provide copies of the files on a public forum but I can tell you that the files were generated through Adobe XD.

They have embedded several PS images within their XD document and exported the result as PDF but clearly Preview has no problem with the format and happily displays full quality images, but Designer can't handle it. I've tried just opening a single page in case it's a resources issue but that appears not to be the case.

I might be able to forward a copy of the PDF in question to your team directly if requested.

Cheers,

Lee

• Staff

Hi thisleenoble,

I think i may know whats happening, if the files have been embedded as Smart objects, Affinity would rasterize them on import as we don't support smart objects.  I'll know more once i've got a sample file from you.  Feel free to use this Dropbox link and the file will be removed once the issue has been looked into.

• Staff
4 hours ago, thisleenoble said:

Thanks, the file is on its way. Are you aware of any guidance I can give the designer that'll stop this happening?

I'm not aware of a method, other than getting these assets separately and placing the into the PDF in Designer.  They could try rasterizing the image before exporting to PDF, which may help.

I'll certainly get this logged tho, as i have my own working sample which shows the issue.  Hopefully this is something we can get resolved or certainly improve on :) 

The information has to be there in some form, it's there in preview and I tried opening a PDF in Gimp as well, and that rendered those objects at full resolution, although not layered so effectively useless. I hope your engineers can address this from your end. Cheers.