You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.337

• Staff

Thank you for quickly reporting the file issues highlighted by the changes for Linked and Embedded resources and bearing with us while we ironed those out. We are pleased to announce Build 337 which fixes the following issues in Builds 330 & 326 which were withdrawn.

[337]
- After modifying an embedded file you could no longer save the document
- After replacing a linked resource the document could become corrupted and could not be re opened
- Making multiple resources linked in the Resource manager could crash the application
- The application could fail to save to a folder linked to OneDrive 

[330]
- Converting an Embedded resource to Linked could delete the original resource
- Replacing Image on a placed PDF could leave Resource Manager in an inconsistent state
- Crash copying and pasting embedded document resources

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: 64 Bit Win 7 SP1 / Win 8.1 / Win 10  (>=1607)

We are pleased to announce Affinity Publisher build 337 is now available as a manual download from the link above. To be notified when there is a new beta please press follow on this announcement thread

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

Fixes and Improvements 

A Note about Linked Images

Backing data and hi-res previews are now discarded for linked images when the containing document is saved, resulting in a drop in Publication file size. Please note that unfortunately this will not apply for linked images in existing documents, they will have to be replaced in order to see an effect. When a document with linked images is opened you may now momentarily see a low-res preview before the full image is loaded and 'pops in'. This is expected behaviour.

Other Fixes

Menus / Studio
(Win) Docking Pinning Panel to the left/right causes crash on next run up
Deleting global colours could cause crash
(Mac) OS accented colour set to Graphite now works correctly for font controls etc
Fixes for Expression Parser

Tools
Fixed selection of Picture Frames from Masters
Vector cropped object in Picture Frame now scales correctly

Text / Tables
Fixed noticeable text lag under some circumstances with Character Panel visible
Fixed auto-correct crash e.g. typing (a)
(MacOS) Ctrl+Alt+Tab in a table inserts a tab and switches document
Prevented deletion of entire cell range with non contiguous selection
On converting a shape to a text frame the context toolbar now shows the correct text tools
Fix for Find / Replace All when found ranges were adjacent

Resources
Improved locating missing resources on file load
Fix for Resource Manager incorrectly reporting resources as modified under some circumstances
DocX improvements - fixes for lists, colours and paragraph run properties

---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 312

Build 337 failed to fully install over Build 330. On closing the failure dialogue (due to an operation running) this made my PC restart. I then tried to install again and received a "repair or uninstall" option. On choosing a "repair" Build fully installed.

Dond:10_wink:

Windows 10 Pro, 8th gen i5-8250U, 8gb ram, 256gb PCIE SSD

46 minutes ago, Dond10 said:

Build 337 failed to fully install over Build 330. On closing the failure dialogue (due to an operation running) this made my PC restart. I then tried to install again and received a "repair or uninstall" option. On choosing a "repair" Build fully installed.

Failed here too

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Worked fine for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Worked fine for me.

It apparently does for some people however there is a fair sized contingent that gets the update failures. They had it fixed at one point but the following beta broke again

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Just now, Rick G said:

It apparently does for some people however there is a fair sized contingent that gets the update failures. They had it fixed at one point but the following beta broke again

It's perhaps best to start with rebooting Windows, as the issue may well be a Windows problem not an Affinity problem :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Installed and works fine for me.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Build 337 installed & worked perfectly. Picking up on Walt's comment about Windows, I have received a flurry of Windows Updates over the last fortnight. All have been installed.

I am very impressed with the speed of response of the development team. It engenders a whole lot of confidence. 

22 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's perhaps best to start with rebooting Windows, as the issue may well be a Windows problem not an Affinity problem :)

Hmmm what sort of Windows problem are you suggesting? I have all the updates not to mention there is a substantial number of users here on the forum that experience the same thing

Photo and Designer install with no issues which leads one to think it is an issue with the Publisher installer perhaps as you suggest, it's interaction with windows

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

39 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Hmmm what sort of Windows problem are you suggesting? I have all the updates not to mention there is a substantial number of users here on the forum that experience the same thing

Windows is notorious for not allowing an installer to run if another installation is in progress, and often there is an installation of some kind running in the background, it a prior installation run that failed, invisibly.

I usually don't have any problem installing any of the Affinity applications, but sometimes I do, and a reboot cleans up Windows to allow the installation to work.

Sometimes when installation of an Affinity app fails I have checked and found a prior installer that is hung (not from Affinity and not something I initiated) or sometimes I have found that Windows is in the middle of a Windows update. Rebooting fixes all of those (for me).

-- Walt
PC:

Nothing Walt! You mentioned in a post that there are issues which might be linked to Windows. I was simply reporting that installing several Windows updates hadn't caused any problems with my updates. Just more data for the mountain:) 

Mere nuances which might result in a Eureka moment for somebody.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Windows is notorious for not allowing an installer to run if another installation is in progress, and often there is an installation of some kind running in the background, it a prior installation run that failed, invisibly.

I usually don't have any problem installing any of the Affinity applications, but sometimes I do, and a reboot cleans up Windows to allow the installation to work.

Sometimes when installation of an Affinity app fails I have checked and found a prior installer that is hung (not from Affinity and not something I initiated) or sometimes I have found that Windows is in the middle of a Windows update. Rebooting fixes all of those (for me).

Well I certainly never had any of those issues and at first I did check for them. I will double check your comments and again try a reboot before attempting to update publisher but I have already done that in the past

It seems that one has to run the installer and allow it to completely wipe out the installed beta, then reboot and only then will it install correctly. It is only this one product and it cannot update but only do  a fresh install.

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

51 minutes ago, jcalsos said:

From the download page that was opened when the program prompted me to get the new version, It downloaded the current version. That resulted in the Repair and Uninstall options. But the link at the top of this thread has the correct .337 update.

Here is the link again.

Please Click here to download the latest beta for Windows

I had the same issue. Thank you for the link 

20 hours ago, jcalsos said:

From the download page that was opened when the program prompted me to get the new version, It downloaded the current version. That resulted in the Repair and Uninstall options. But the link at the top of this thread has the correct .337 update.

Here is the link again.

Please Click here to download the latest beta for Windows

I also had this issue. The link from the program went to the current version, but I found it here.

1 hour ago, meyer.wil@gmail.com said:

The .337 download appears to stall on my attempts. Anywhere from 30-60MB, and then no activity.

If you would like I can send it to you via Wetransfer to "meyer.wil@gmail.com".

I hesitate to post that link here

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png