You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.337

• Staff

Thank you for quickly reporting the file issues highlighted by the changes for Linked and Embedded resources and bearing with us while we ironed those out. We are pleased to announce Build 337 which fixes the following issues in Builds 330 & 326 which were withdrawn.

[337]
- After modifying an embedded file you could no longer save the document
- After replacing a linked resource the document could become corrupted and could not be re opened.
- Making multiple resources linked in the Resource manager could crash the application
- The application could fail to save to folder linked to OneDrive 

[330]
- Converting an Embedded resource to Linked could delete the original resource
- Replacing Image on a placed PDF could leave Resource Manager in an inconsistent state
- Crash copying and pasting embedded document resources

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher build 337 is now available as a manual download from the link above. To be notified when there is a new beta please press follow on this announcement thread.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread. 

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

Fixes and Improvements 

A Note about Linked Images

Backing data and hi-res previews are now discarded for linked images when the containing document is saved, resulting in a drop in Publication file size. Please note that unfortunately this will not apply for linked images in existing documents, they will have to be replaced in order to see an effect. When a document with linked images is opened you may now momentarily see a low-res preview before the full image is loaded and 'pops in'. This is expected behaviour.

Other Fixes

Menus / Studio
(Win) Docking Pinning Panel to the left/right causes crash on next run up
Deleting global colours could cause crash
(Mac) OS accented colour set to Graphite now works correctly for font controls etc
Fixes for Expression Parser

Tools
Fixed selection of Picture Frames from Masters
Vector cropped object in Picture Frame now scales correctly

Text / Tables
Fixed noticeable text lag under some circumstances with Character Panel visible
Fixed auto-correct crash e.g. typing (a)
(MacOS) Ctrl+Alt+Tab in a table inserts a tab and switches document
Prevented deletion of entire cell range with non contiguous selection
On converting a shape to a text frame the context toolbar now shows the correct text tools
Fix for Find / Replace All when found ranges were adjacent

Resources
Improved locating missing resources on file load
Fix for Resource Manager incorrectly reporting resources as modified under some circumstances
DocX improvements - fixes for lists, colours and paragraph run properties
---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 312

2 hours ago, Mark Daniel said:

[337]
- After modifying an embedded file you could no longer save the document
- After replacing a linked resource the document could become corrupted and could not be re opened.
- Making multiple resources linked in the Resource manager could crash the application
- The application could fail to save to folder linked to OneDrive 

Should this not be [326] ?

• Staff
2 hours ago, postmadesign said:

Should this not be [326] ?

no

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

All seems to be working great - re-linked folder of tiffs for a kids book and re-saved, gone from 897mb to 122mb

Proper job

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

The DMG (Disk-Image file) generates the following warning message during installment here.

beta_image.jpg.b78f352f29bd7047f8fbd62051b4a891.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
16 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

In the previous build I had 2 files that I replaced the links and then saved. In build 337 it says both are corrupted. Is there any way to recover them?

If by "previous build" you mean 326 or 330 then probably not, sorry. Both builds were withdrawn as they had the ability to corrupt files quite easily.

Upload them to a new thread and we can take a look

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
8 hours ago, v_kyr said:

The DMG (Disk-Image file) generates the following warning message during installment here...

Redownload the file please

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

14 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

If by "previous build" you mean 326 or 330 then probably not, sorry. Both builds were withdrawn as they had the ability to corrupt files quite easily.

Upload them to a new thread and we can take a look

Thanks, I had worked on the files before these builds were pulled. Anyway, I forgot I have my Time Machine backups.

Hi there is a simple bug on text selection on all Affinity software - Photo, Designer and Publisher.  If you start with the text tool and then select a font you want to use the font selection reverts to Arial. This exists with the Art Text Tool as well as the Frame Text Tool.  The only workaround is to start typing in Arial and then change the text selection - and while this workaround works it really slows down my workflow, and honestly it's really quite annoying. This was not the case in previous betas and also with the MAS versions. Please fix.

I have found the same thing.   They not only revert to the default font Arial, but a default font size.    

1 hour ago, abarkalo said:

Hi there is a simple bug on text selection on all Affinity software - Photo, Designer and Publisher.  If you start with the text tool and then select a font you want to use the font selection reverts to Arial. This exists with the Art Text Tool as well as the Frame Text Tool.  The only workaround is to start typing in Arial and then change the text selection - and while this workaround works it really slows down my workflow, and honestly it's really quite annoying. This was not the case in previous betas and also with the MAS versions. Please fix.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I have shipped this text selection issue over to a new topic in the Bugs section.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 5/26/2019 at 11:57 AM, abarkalo said:

I just tried this (Mac version, build 337) and can't duplicate it, with either of the text tools. Changing the font before I start typing works - no reversion to Arial and no change to the size if I've changed that. Tried changing the base font to something other than Arial, and once I select a different font, it sticks then too - no reversion. Odd...wonder why some are seeing this and others not?

22 minutes ago, PaddyD said:

I just tried this (Mac version, build 337) and can't duplicate it, with either of the text tools. Changing the font before I start typing works - no reversion to Arial and no change to the size if I've changed that. Tried changing the base font to something other than Arial, and once I select a different font, it sticks then too - no reversion. Odd...wonder why some are seeing this and others not?

Did you try selecting the tool, then changing the font before you draw the Text Frame?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/26/2019 at 11:57 AM, abarkalo said:

Hi there is a simple bug on text selection on all Affinity software - Photo, Designer and Publisher.  If you start with the text tool and then select a font you want to use the font selection reverts to Arial.

For me, it's actually worse than that.

When I start by clicking on the text tool and then selecting some arbitrary font F, my selection does not even register.

Here's what I'm told the selected font is before I select font F:

image.png.d13ee900b014d471d34f646390ae270c.png

And here's what I'm told the selected font is after I select font F:

image.png.b661fb2ed69677e7d6afd8c6a30f83f3.png

And even leaving that issue aside … Arial? … I mean, really?

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

• Staff

This is reported and fixed in the next (currently internal) build

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd